DAB radio

Discussion in 'Modifications' started by trustafox, Mar 30, 2013.

1. trustafox

trustafox Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Yes
    anyone fitted a DAB radio? did you or can you use the original aerial fpr the Dab signal?

I passed on the magnet roof mount idea!!!

any ideas and info welcome.

2. DaG

DaG Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Copen 1.3
    You need a new aerial or a converter to connect to the existing car aerial. You can get glass mounted aerials but unless they mount to the front screen won't be any use in a Copen.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kinetic-D...1?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item19ce798a83

3. trustafox

Car(s):
    Yes
    Most things I read on forums is that people have not been happy with glass mount. And the copen windscreen is small enough.

I know some units come with an aerial but magnetic of glass mounts not ideal generally or for me.

I've just been to the car to look at the aerial and access seems little to none. Unless you I can by pulling up more of the liner, unless it means removing the mechanism

4. DaG

DaG Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Copen 1.3
    Get a splitter converter which will use the existing aerial it just plugs in behind the radio. I looked at dab radios a few weeks ago but decided that being as I only really listen to radio2 I didn't really need one.

5. trustafox

Car(s):
    Yes
    I bought one today and fitted, a DAB stereo that is with usb slot so i can dump the CDs filling up the glove box. I've just ordered a tiny usb stick thats only about 1 cm long so will protrude no further than the volume knob and it won't take any space up in the centre console box.

Might consider better speakers also.

The DAB does sound clear compared to crackle FM.

I got a unit which supplied a magnetic roof mount DAB aerial which i though might be most practical. I have put it above the glovebox. Inside the cavity you can access the side of the car, being flat and steel it sticks well. The spring stick bit then sticks out over the glove box and fouls nothing. Although being springy it may vibrate against something. I'll check this out when I go for my first drive. My answer will be to stick some foam foam sheet I have on the parts the aerial contacts to deaden the sound and stop wear. At first install it seems an almost ideal location and you just need a foot or so of cable to reach back of the stereo. The rest that is folded up has a very convenient pocket to the left of the glove box right under the aerial where it attaches to the car.

6. Adam K

Adam K Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Nissan Cube Kaizen
    Sounds good, be interested to see some pictures. What model of stereo is it?
    I've been tempted by DAB radio, the signal I get is rubbish.

7. trustafox

Car(s):
    Yes
    Photos for Adam

Oh Adam, you are demanding!! so I've just been outside. I just hope you enjoy!

There is a bit of a gap with the facia, but more so as I have not pushed it fully back yet. I haven't used the clip on facia as its shiny piano black look and I was not after that look. Thats why I went for the more dull/matt Philips (CEM3000). I think its also amore mature look that suits Copen interior better than some of the blingy ones. I liked the brush metal effect buttons too.

I've took the front off to show you that look and the gaps. I think I will put some dark stick back foam around the unit to somewhat fill/cover the gap and make it at least less obvious and not see the metal prongs that the front surround clips to. I prob will with the clock section also as this has a gap too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is where I located the DAB aerial. I had pulled the cloth back a bit for the photo.

[​IMG]

8. Adam K

Adam K Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Nissan Cube Kaizen
    Nice work Trustafox, great idea with the aerial location.

9. trustafox

Car(s):
    Yes
    Well the idea of the magnet aerial to be on your roof, yeah we have aluminium, but you have to run the cable across the roof, no way Jose! Watch it in windy conditions especially at speed and if it moves it may scratch roof. I don't want some thing doing hop scotch around the exterior of my car. Hence the desperate thought to where it could go. Reception is OK so far.

I may put in some better speakers too. been looking at options.

10. scooty

scooty Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    2 x Daihatsu Copen, RHD
    1 x Daihatsu Trevis
    Just an idea to get rid of the gap: Did you try to swap clock unit and radio unit, i.e. radio would then be under the clock?

Andreas

PS:
    And what is this for? Car alarm?
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

11. Rex

Rex Copenworld Pioneer

Car(s):
    Copen
    Recently fitted a Pure Highway DAB. Fits over the ashtray area. The unit will re-transmits on FM. However....

The built in FM transmitter is very low power and I did not have a strong signal through the aerial. Also, when you change areas, you often had to scan for a new 'free' frequency to transmit on, else there was interference from other FM stations.

In the end, I used the a wired output option to the stereo aux in.

The aerial sticks on the windscreen. Reception is still limited in rural areas.

Apparently, the Government are waiting until 50% of us have DAB before announcing the big FM switch off. Personally, I hope it never happens, but little chance of that when there is money to be made selling off the old FM frequencies....

Rex.

12. trustafox

Car(s):
    Yes
    Its my German Copen close alert alarm! Yes alarm.

The gap would still be the same. Plus there is more room depth wise in the top slot. I kinda prefer the radio on top too. I'll just come up with some half decent way to make it acceptable if not perfect.

13. Coxsie

Coxsie Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Copen + Signum
    Nice one

Trustafox,

Did you have to use a wiring harness adapter to connect to your new DAB radio, If so which one, or did it plug straight in.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2013
  14. trustafox

Car(s):
    Yes
    Coxsie, I used the one I had on the Clarion. All wires were the same besides and orange one for illumination and a second blue one. But as others matched the new stereo's and the extra pin didn't have anything to connect to to potentially bugger anything, I used it and its worked fine.

15. Coxsie

Coxsie Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Copen + Signum
    Trustafox,

Cheers for the info, I think I'l follow your lead.

16. Coxsie

Coxsie Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Copen + Signum
    DAB Fun day

Had a fun day today, I took the plunge and decided to get a DAB radio,
    Searched online found Halfords to have the best deals.

Looked at the Philips model that Trustafox bought, saw they had a Pioneer with a free mag mount DAB antenna for 20 quid cheaper.

So I went for that, took it home and started to strip out the old radio, the radio install instructions in the "features section" really helped with removing the dash.

Fairly simple to swap over from the old to the new, no extra wiring adapters needed.

Decided to test before mounting the unit into the dash, just as well I did, I turned it on all looked good until I pressed the DAB button, then
    "Antenna Error" appeared across the display ??
    Tried the nomal things, power off/on unit, unplugged and plugged back in the antenna, with no joy:(

Read through the manual, found the trouble shooting section, it said check connections & cycle power, if error still occurs ring Pioneer support, which I did.

The guy on the end of the phone said this is a known problem, if a passive antenna is plugged into the unit and DAB is selected the "Antenna Error" will come up, and the unit will be unusable. He then said that only an active antenna should be used with this unit. He also said that Halfords are aware of the problem.

But they are providing a passive one free with the unit :think:

So I disconnected the Pioneer unit and trundled back to Halfords, saw the guy who sold it to me, he was great he rang his tech people who said that they are aware of the problem, but it had happened with passive & Active antenna's ?

They offered me a new unit, I said I would only have it if it is tested in the shop, which they did & it worked fine. So I took it outside to connect into my Copen, with two Halfords guys in tow. It all worked fine, so I reassembled everything back into the dash and drove home.
    Putting it through it's paces all the way, it was looking good until I parked on my drive, I started storing some of the stations, and then the dreaded
    "Antenna Error" appeared :-(:)-((

Drove straight back to Halfords, spoke to the guy who I had been dealing with, we both couldn't believe it had happened again. He was really understanding and he said I could either have a full refund, or a choice of some other units, within reason. So I ended up with a Kenwood unit worth 40 quid more. I installed it while I was still in the carpark, just in case.

It is working fine, the DAB quality is amazing, it even makes the original speakers sound good.

Sorry for the long story but I had to get it out of my head somewhere.

Forgot to mention that I have installed the mag mount antenna in the glove comparment the same as Trustafox, it works really well, with no loss of signal.

Just incase you are think of going DAB steer clear of the
    Pioneer Pioneer DEH-X6500DAB, not sure if other Pioneer units behave the same, but I guess the components are the same.

The unit I ended up with is a Kenwood KDC-DAB4557U, if you are interested.

A long frustrating day, but worth it in the end.:D

17. ClareL

ClareL Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    1.3 2008 Copen
    That sounds like a nightmare, at least the man at Halfords was helpful. I am glad you got it sorted in the end, now just to plan your new speakers......:-((

18. Coxsie

Coxsie Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Copen + Signum
    I don't think I'll go there just yet :eek:
    sounds fine a the moment :)

19. trustafox

Car(s):
    Yes
    Yeah I though the sounds not too bad. The radio is still clear with oem speakers. Some sound deadening might help a good chunk too.

I was going for a Pioneer, then decided I'll have to go DAB and pay some extra, still with that Pioneer you bought. Glad I didn't now. Was toss up between mine and Sony.

I might have to charge you for the rights of that aerial placing Coxsie!! ;)
    But glad others think its a good idea and using it. :)