1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Copen Value with Issues - Australia

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by aussiecopen, Dec 3, 2014.

1. aussiecopen

aussiecopen Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    2002 Copen
    Hi All,

New to posting here but I have a quick question with a bit of an urgent deadline.

Basically my partner and I have a 2002 Copen (i'll have to double check on the year as it's all in her name) and have just had to have the gear box fully replaced.

We have also had issues with the roof and the car has now been in the mechanic for close to 3 months while they fumble their way through trying to work out what is wrong.

Firstly they ordered the wrong computer, then they ordered the correct computer but they think the wiring is the issue, they have now sent it to an auto-electrician who is "investigating" at $110/hr. We have asked them to stop while we decide on our next move.

The other complication is we are leaving Australia for three years in less than three weeks and really want to have the car gone by then or at least know what we are doing with it.

So I wanted to get an idea of how much a Copen with a broken roof would be worth on the Australian Market (Brisbane to be precise)? It's getting to the point where we don't want to sink any more money into it and would rather just sell it cheaply and move on.

Any advice would be fantastic and if you did happen to be interested in a cheap Copen with a bad roof then I'm your guy haha.

2. tictac

tictac Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Copen 2004
    Prius 2006
    Hey aussiecopen, sorry to hear about the roof issues and also that you probably prefer to move the car on while you go overseas for a few years. Do a forum search here using keywords and you will find some information about roof issues others have had (computers, wiring, etc), maybe a gem of info there to help you find a fix within your time frame. As to market value without a working roof, really I don't know, also depends on the kilometers and condition of the rest of the car too. If you look on carsales.com.au there are usually 6-10 Copens for sale and I cannot recall having seen one advertised with a non-functional roof. I doubt anyone sells at the prices I see asked there, they seem too high to me for what is essentially a 10+ year old weekend-only funster. OK the Copen has appeal but really some asking prices are wishful thinking. With a non-functional roof and that being a significant issue to troubleshoot .....

3. aussiecopen

Car(s):
    2002 Copen
    Thanks for the advice.

Turns out it was a 2004 Copen, we have it up on ebay now so we are just seeing what we can get for it.

It's a $2,125 with 5 days to go, if we crack $3k we'll be happy.

4. grunt

grunt Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Audi A4
    2003 Copen 659
    hmmmm if I didn't get killed for doing so - it'd be nice for spares for mine :)

I'm probably barking up the wrong tree here - but looking at your rear photo on EBAY - with the door open - your leading edge of the boot has too large a gap on the drivers side between boot lid and body (in behind the radio aerial) so your boot isn't closing right.

Mine looked like that when I bought it - and had issues with the roof not wanting to open/close.

The issue was the little blue "ring pull" wasn't seated right. Open your boot and look at the front of the hinge where it meets the boot lid. The blue ring pulls need to be turned right so they seat fully. Turning mine by 90 degrees seated it right and fixed my roof issues.

5. aussiecopen

Car(s):
    2002 Copen
    I'll give that a crack tonight!

If it comes off I'll be a hero with the GF!

6. Nedryerson

Nedryerson Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    0.66 Copen 2003
    Fiat 500
    This post is worth its weight in gold!

Many thanks !

Ned

I can't wait to have a roof fault !

7. Nedryerson

Nedryerson Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    0.66 Copen 2003
    Fiat 500
    Threepot,

At the end of the video you refer to the next video in the sequence.

Got a link to this one ?

Ned