copen turbo 2005 suspension top bush

Discussion in 'Wanted' started by scorpain, May 28, 2013.

1. scorpain

scorpain Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    copen 2005
    Hi, Guy n Gels,

Our lovely blue copen failed its mot today, im looking for the top suspension bushes part numbers are : LH = 48609 97205 000 and RH = 48603 97202 000

Can anyone get these parts/pattern? or have any?

2. Adam K

Adam K Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Nissan Cube Kaizen
    I think it'll be a trip to the dealers for those.

3. scorpain

Car(s):
    copen 2005
    Looks that way none in the country o well another 2/3week wait and £150 from dealer Daihatsu really know how to rape the wallet, Ive just waited 8 weeks for a new turbo, got it running lovely and now fails m.o.t on bushes, I now have them out and it's the bearings in the bush that have failed, disappointing to find you cant just change the bearing :-( :eek:

4. Adam K

Adam K Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Nissan Cube Kaizen
    Could you measure the bearings & try to buy them at a motor factors? Then get your local mechanic to press them in?

5. scorpain

Car(s):
    copen 2005
    lol The ironic thing is I can get the bearing not a problem, I can easily see the part number of the bearing and here's the "but" the bearing is pressed in from the inside the only way out is to damage the rubber - i guess this is why there sold as a complete fitting.

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/2chgoyq5f354por/HY9SlGwDDj

6. DaG

DaG Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Copen 1.3
    The bearing is pressed in from the top side and unlike a wheel bearing isn't intended to be removed. Is there any access at all from the underside to bash it out? Maybe through the hole the shock absorber goes in using a bit of round bar or a hefty screwdriver. It doesn't matter obviously if you damage the old bearing getting it out so maybe a bit of brute force and ignorance might work.
    Or if you could smash the centre of the inner shell out you might be able to get a puller onto the outer shell or prise it out some other way.

Just had a close look at your first pic which shows the underside and you can see the bearing inner and it's black plastic spacer washer. I'd soak it overnight in WD and then try and knock it out from the underside. Nothing to lose really.

Last edited: May 28, 2013
  7. scorpain

Car(s):
    copen 2005
    I love your optimism, ive studied this all afternoon and cant see a way. pic1 that hole is smaller than the bearing so its not coming out that way and the other side pic2 has the lip holding it in so maybe I should stop whining and find a nice man in japan to send me a couple by airmail pronto :-(:):)D

8. DaG

DaG Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Copen 1.3
    I know it can't come out the underside but could you not use that opening to knock it out? Or. At least knock out the inner parts of the bearing.
    You say there is a lip on the top holding it in, but it looks to me that you can see the outer edge of the bearing case. If there is a lip how did the manufacturer get the bearing into the bush?
    I reckon you could smash the middle of the bearing out leaving only the outer case. Then using something like a Dremmel put a cut in the outer case, the outer will then come out easily. Then again I could be wrong, but you're right I'm an optimist.:D

Another close up look and I definitely can't see a lip holding the bearing in. The bearing is pressed into a ring of thickish steel which is tapered outwards to allow easy entry of the bearing. You can see the edge of the bearing case, it isn't under a lip. If you can remove the innards of the bearing You can cut the case top to bottom which will release it.

Last edited: May 28, 2013
  9. scorpain

Car(s):
    copen 2005
    My guess is that it was manufactured in two parts pic3/4 a upper and lower casing the top housing having the bearing inserted before the lower part was filled with some kind of rubber. Bearing £1.90 complete part from Daihatsu £75 each + vat should I report a robbery. Im holding off for now until I have a reply from a contact in Japan

10. DaG

DaG Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Copen 1.3
    Ok.
    I'd be very surprised if it was manufactured as you said in two parts then filled with rubber. It sounds unnecessarily a difficult way to manufacture it. I still think that bearing would come out but I'm only looking at photos.
    Keep us informed how the job goes.

11. scorpain

Car(s):
    copen 2005
    will do thanks for the input, i'm going to show a couple of people in the know tomorrow, but im sure im going to end up buying a pair from Japan early indications show a pair for £50 + postage just waiting on availability

12. scorpain

Car(s):
    copen 2005
    I had a couple of people look at this today and they both agree its made in two parts the bearing being fitted to one half then the other side compressed into the rubber. Ive ordered both sides from a contact in japan £40 a side plus postage

13. DaG

DaG Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Copen 1.3
    That's a pity. It's not so much the cost as how long it takes for delivery and meanwhile you're off the road. It looks like parts are a massive downside of Copens. I would have expected a stock of common MOT failure parts to be in this country. Poor show by daihatsu.

14. scorpain

Car(s):
    copen 2005
    indeed was disappointed to find no dealer in the uk had these parts. The last air freight I had from japan was 5 days in my hand very good I thought, I've also used standard (sea) which is 8 weeks for a turbo, the car has been off the road since march, brought it with the failed turbo and have rebuilt most of the car, was looking to have the copen on the road this week but a failed mot has put stop to that. Wont be long till we are back on the road , the mrs will have to use her smart car (which is for sale as I brought her the copen as a upgrade

15. scorpain

Car(s):
    copen 2005
    Job all done we managed to get the parts from japan in 5 days mot'd it yesterday and insured it, which amazed me 220 fully comp, that's cheaper than our old smart car, although the tax is 175 on the Copen and only 30 on the smart, and only a 50cc difference. Rip of Britain tax rises it's ugly head once more :( The Mrs is Happy with her new ride and has been able to go to work with her lid down for her first Copen ride. HAPPY Dayz

16. speedy-g

speedy-g Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Copen Turbo
    Vectra SRI 2.6 V6
    Looking for Jaguar XJR V8
    Fix

It can be done.
    Not easy but possible. I have some photo's but don't know how to add them.