1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Copen practicalities

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Dana Fitzsimmons, Aug 25, 2018.

1. Dana Fitzsimmons

Dana Fitzsimmons Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Don't own a car
    Hi went to view a copen yesterday which I am seriously considering buying but I'm just wondering how everyone copes with the very small rear windscreen.

2. jez77

jez77 Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    2003 Daihatsu Copen
    2000 Toyota RAV4
    I've never had a issue seeing out the back. Your so close to the window the size doesn't matter.

AFR0N1 likes this.
  3. BarnsleyRob

BarnsleyRob Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    2009/59 silver Copen 1298 cc (now gone to a new home)
    The whole car is only 3ft long so don’t worry about the back. Anyway, you should have the roof down and you can see for miles then.

AFR0N1 likes this.
  4. AFR0N1

AFR0N1 Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen L880K (KMVZW)
    I don't have any issues seeing out the back with or without the roof being up.
    Probably the easiest car to park that I have driven so far. (includes 208, 120D, Feista)

5. Dana Fitzsimmons

Car(s):
    Don't own a car
    This would be my first car & I'm not sure how I would cope with such a small rear windscreen, ir seems a bit dangerous & it's actually putting me off the idea of buying a copen, it's left me feeling a bit deflated tbh because I don't have an interest in any other type of car :cry:

6. Dana Fitzsimmons

Car(s):
    Don't own a car
    I just don't see how you would have a good enough view of what's behind you especially when over taking

7. Anji

Anji Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    2006 660 Copen/Ford Grand CMax
    Dana Fitzsimmons I have just bought and driven my Copen. I drove along some B roads along the M11 and the M25 along some A roads and at one point bouncing rain came down. In my very limited experience, the door mirrors, when set up give a good view of behind, and the rear view mirror gives a reasonable view. The only way that you will know is to go and drive the car. Remember no motorcycle has a rear view mirror!

AFR0N1 likes this.
  8. Dana Fitzsimmons

Car(s):
    Don't own a car
    Hi Anji, this would be my first car - in fact I haven't actually passed my test as yet, it just so happens that someone not too far away from me is selling a copen, I went to view it on Friday as they are just about the only car I am interested in but as soon as I sat in the car the first thing I noticed was how small the rear windscreen is, it's the only negative but it seems to be out weighing the positives.

9. Anji

Anji Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Dana, I'm sure it was AFRON1s first car, but that said, you have to be comfortable with it I wish you well what ever you choose.
    Anji

10. AFR0N1

AFR0N1 Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen L880K (KMVZW)
    The entire car is small tho.
    At least for me the view out the back is fine, if not better than the other cars I have driven so far.
    Although the window is small compared with other cars, the window is so close to the back of my head that the size doesn't matter, also there are few obstructions. The only thing obstructing my view out the back is the roll bar and passenger seat, but its quite easy to just move or tilt the passenger seat forward just a little bit If it is too far back or forward etc. Also the car is really short too.
    The other cars I have driven have big windows but more obstructions, rear seats, chunky c pillars etc.. so in the end I can see out the back of my Copen the best out of them all, and on a sunny day put the top down and there really is no real blind spot anymore.

Is it a problem with how you set up the mirrors or maybe your seating position isnt right? Maybe you're just not the right size for the car (too tall maybe?)
    Either way, if you feel uncomfortable driving the car then you shouldn't force yourself to get it.

If you decide to not get a Copen, I can suggest some other fun cars that may be suitable for you.

Yes, my Copen is my first and only car.
    DSC01754-1.JPG
    ^picture of him when I was still learning to drive in him.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2018
    Anji likes this.
  11. Edmund

Edmund Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Copen Cero
    It's not too hard to see out the back if but my wife made me get a back monitor for mine (Copen Cero, new last year) - I'd have thought you could fit like that something on an older one somehow.

The only problem I have with visibility is seeing behind me and to the left; It's fine on a t-shaped intersection, and it's fine merging from one lane to the next, but occasionally if you have to join a road at a slight angle it's hard to see what's coming. The solution is to turn the car a bit more so it's more like a T.

12. Anji

Anji Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    The reversing camera is an easy solution as most double din radios now support rear view. The Pioneer in mine does and will fitted with a camera shortly.