1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Copen failed MOT on burst rear brake pipe

Discussion in 'Problems, Fixes, Tips...' started by lovebug_car, Aug 7, 2017.

1. lovebug_car

lovebug_car Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen
    Hi, has anyone on here experienced a burst brake pipe or have experience of having one fixed?
    My 2007 1.3 copen just failed his MOT as the brake pipe burst when they were testing the brakes. The part that needs replacing is the metal part of the pip rather than the flexi part so they are charging £82 for a new pipe (that they are making I believe)plus £37 for new brake fluid.
    Does all this sound about right?
    Thanks in advance.

2. Salieri

Salieri Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    Used to have a White Copen, but I sold it in 2023
    It does not happen very often, but sometimes it does. Usually the flexible rubber brake lines burst. Given that Daihatsus like to rust, maybe the metal brake line was damaged by rust and burst at the weakest point.
    Prices seem to be OK to me. You can bend and flare your own brake lines if you have the tools, which would be cheaper

lovebug_car likes this.
  3. lovebug_car

lovebug_car Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen
    Thank you for the reply.
    You're probably right, just the weakest point but apparently the rest all looked ok. At least it will be guaranteed. Got quite sharp brakes now too!

4. Number6

Number6 Inactive User

Car(s):
    2005 0.7L Copen
    Hard brake lines can break, but it's very rare. For the piece of mind, get new lines and pipes (nice braided pipes). Go whole hog and pretend to be a drift car racer :p

lovebug_car likes this.