1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Copen Collectability

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Ashley, Jun 14, 2012.

1. Ashley

Ashley Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Copen
    Merc estate
    RAV4 3-Door
    He might have a point... People who "collect" cars tend not to rate Japanese cars - or any car that actually works. I offer as an example the "Top Gear" presenters who consistently praise Fiats and Alfas while slating anything Japanese.

The question is, did you buy it as an investment? or because you liked it?

In my opinion, given the level of interest and the number of smiles (not to mention outright laughter!) that the Copen attracts, I think the Copen will always be considered that bit different from the mainstream - and will therefore continue to be an attractive car.

The fact that it is well designed and made, safe, reliable, economical and fun make it so much more attractive.

Collectable cars tend not to have those attributes - well maybe the design (and occasionally the fun) qualities.

2. dwayner

dwayner Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    A 2005 copen and a
    Camry Sportivo
    dwayner

Hi Ashley,
    good point! of course iniitially i bought it for the "not everyone else will have one" kinda thing - as all cars looked bland and the same - so i got it to stand out, individuality way. But as it gets older and parts will be harder to get over time, not to mention the cost of it (nothing is cheap on them!) then i have to then ask: does the rising cost to repair and maintain, outweight the fun factor?
    For the moment at least, its that feeling you have something special, and you love it for that but im sure in time, ill draw the line somewhere - My friends were in MG clubs a few years back, until just taking their MG out would almost cost them an arm and a leg, so they got out when the cost of maintaining the MG wore out their fun-factor!! Im not there yet though!

3. Ashley

Ashley Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Copen
    Merc estate
    RAV4 3-Door
    Yes I can understand that - but driven sensibly, how often do you actually need to buy parts? Obviously air and oil filters and brake pads, but surely not much else?

MGs on the other hand suffer from the disadvantage of being 60s & 70s British Leyland cars - and consequently suffer from fairly low build quality.

One of my buddies had Triumph Stag (back in the 80s) - he spent more time fixing it than driving it - same for one of my current neighbours and his MG Midget.

I could be wrong, but I don't anticipate the same problems with the Copen.

4. Salieri

Salieri Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    Used to have a White Copen, but I sold it in 2023
    I have to agree with Ashley, parts for Japanese cars are expensive, but they seldomly break, so after all it evens out.

In my opinion the Copen won't have much of a collectors value, as there are too many of them and, as already stated, they do not break :D

5. Binz

Binz Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Copen (plus Kawasaki W650 and Honda CRV)
    Copen has what it takes to be a collectors car / desireable classic. But it will be a niche thing. It is individual, quirky, fun, full of character and I think it's relatively rare (I've only seen 1 other since buying mine at start of May; and that other 1 was at a Daihatsu garage).

I remember when I had my Imp. Similar thing in being quirky fun and individual. I think the Copen attracts similar people. It doesn't have mass market apeal, which in years to come will result in a small but devoted following.

6. Adam K

Adam K Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Nissan Cube Kaizen
    The Suzuki Cappuccino is now a Neo-Classic. Interest in them is increasing again. It's now just over twenty years old (released in Oct'91 in Japan).
    I think the Copen will go the same way. It's quirky, rare & with a metal folding roof.

7. Ricochet

Ricochet Copenworld Newbie

Who cares

So what if it doesn't become a classic. I had great fun taking mine down to to northern Spain last year, and it's on its way to the south of France in a few weeks time. It's great fun, cheap to run, got 40,000 on the clock, should last a good few years yet, by which time either me or the misses will no longer be able to climb in and out of it. I am a firm believer that cars are meant to be used not polished. I suppose I'm doing the 'classisists' a favour by trying to wear one out so that will make them rarer.

8. issuefixed

issuefixed Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    yes
    Hear hear! "Cars are meant to be used not polished". For 6 years I have never polished my Copen, so although it doesn't reflect the sunlight like a mirror it doesn't have any polishing spirals either. Cheers!