1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Copen Boot won't open

Discussion in 'Problems, Fixes, Tips...' started by carmen luck, Feb 8, 2013.

1. carmen luck

carmen luck Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    copen
    HELP!! The boot on my copen won't open, I have been having trouble for a while it was a bit hit and miss sometimes it would open and sometimes it wouldnt, now it won't at all. I have had a new battery recently as it was left standing over Xmas so it can't be that, and my husband followed the manuals instructions to open the boot manually which he did, but I still can't get it to work, it is now not shut electronically. I do have it booked in at a local garage next week but was hoping that someone on the forum could help, I am worried that a garage with labour time may cost me an arm and a leg, so if anyone can help it would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance

2. Adam K

Adam K Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Nissan Cube Kaizen
    Hi Carmen Luck, Welcome to Copenworld.
    Does the roof open & close okay?

3. Quartz

Quartz Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Grey Copen 2007
    After a monumental edit when I read the post properly that your husband used the manual function to open the boot the only other things I can think of are:

- Obstruction in the boot opening hydraulics. Cables twisted, plastic bags stuck in it. Yes I have seen that! :). Any other obstruction that does not let the boot settle properly.

- Sticking/warped rubber seals. Sometimes the rubber seals lift a little off the body and become uneven (this was the case for me when it came to roof and boot).

- The cables in the boot for roof release are not seated collectedly (red ring pulls)

- System just needs using more.

- Fuses (if you hear no mechanical noise when trying the roof or boot - might just be the button switch!)

- Manual release handle found in the center console has not been pushed back to its original position.

That's all I can think of :/

After all that it might just be tired boot sensors for closing or tired hydraulic/motor.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
  4. carmen luck

Car(s):
    copen
    Hi thanks for your quick replies. No the roof doesn't open either, the red light is permanently on. When you press the boot release switch in the centre console nothing happens either. We have cleaned all the plug joints in the boot and sprayed with WD40 in case it helps, not sure what to do next.

5. Adam K

Adam K Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Nissan Cube Kaizen
    In the directory tab you can download the service manuals ( I think you need to be a member for a few days & made some posts before you can access them).
    I'd print out the section on the roof\boot mechanism (section I05) & give it to your mechanic.
    He might be able to read an error code off the ECU to point him in the right direction.

6. carmen luck

Car(s):
    copen
    Thanks Adam I will try and do that before Thursday when I take it in.

Really appreciate your time in replying.

Carmen

7. DaG

DaG Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Copen 1.3
    Where is this manual release handle?

8. Adam K

Adam K Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Nissan Cube Kaizen
    Do you mean the one at the bottom of the centre console? Hidden under a removable plastic cover.

9. DaG

DaG Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Copen 1.3
    I didn't know there was a manual release until I read it on this thread. The only release I know off is the button in the arm rest.

10. dwayner

dwayner Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    A 2005 copen and a
    Camry Sportivo
    dwayner

I asked toyota about you situation, just in case it happens to me telling him your symptoms etc. He first said if the red light was on all the time, its an indication that it isnt "locking into the hydrolic lock" which means its still "open" as such it has to be closed in order to operate.Its like a kill switch - it wont continue to open and close until it first is locked into place. He did say, they had worked on one roof for a Copen 2 years ago, and it failed to work, as she simply didnt use it enough -

11. Quartz

Car(s):
    Grey Copen 2007
    Truth...

I not used mine for about a month after all the snow we had and it was slow. But after a couple of times and a slight engine rev with it - it sped up again.

But then again I'm the madman bombing up and down the A1M who has the roof down at every opportunity when it's not snowing or raining, even in the middle of the night in sub zero temperatures :)

12. Pitti

Pitti Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    LHD Copen 1.3
    If the red light is on the roof section isn´t closed and that means you can´t open the boot. Have a look at the latches that lock the roof.

13. carmen luck

Car(s):
    copen
    Hi there thank you for your response do you know where the hydraulic lock is situated, is it near the boot release motor? please excuse my ignorance.

Thanks everyone for the replies I am going to push my husband out into the snow today to see if he can fix it before I have to take it into a garage and face a hefty bill.

14. carmen luck

Car(s):
    copen
    Husband tried and failed to fix the boot so she will be going into the garage tomorrow will keep you all informed as to what the problem was. Thanks

15. Quartz

Car(s):
    Grey Copen 2007
    Cool.

I'd not be impressed if it is just a sticky switch :)

16. carmen luck

Car(s):
    copen
    Ok news from the garage it is a broken switch in the luggage lid awaiting part to arrive £234 + vat :-((

17. Adam K

Adam K Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Nissan Cube Kaizen
    If they told you which one it was you might be able to get a second hand one.

18. carmen luck

Car(s):
    copen
    They aren't 100% sure yet, that is what they think it is but the diagnostics weren't clear, the part should be in tomorrow, they said this doesn't usually go wrong with them they usually have copens in with boot problems because of shopping bags mangled in the mechanism.

19. carmen luck

Car(s):
    copen
    Latest update the switch that the garage ordered wasn't faulty, it turned out to be the sensor switch in the boot which needs to be ordered from Japan so the copen has returned home for a while unfixed, until the switch arrives from Japan which could take 3 weeks. Still at least that gives me a few more weeks to save for the bill !!!

20. imogen holden gill

imogen holden gill Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Copen 2009
    Hello....I seem to be having the same problem.... As my red light is constantly on....not sure how to sort the boot and the roof... Garage I think..... Van I download a 1.3 manual from the site?