1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Copen 1.3 Litres Maintenance

Discussion in 'Problems, Fixes, Tips...' started by ady_bod, Nov 19, 2018.

1. ady_bod

ady_bod Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Copen 1.3
    Hi Copen lovers,

I have a 1.3 litres Copen and I am looking to do the first service( oil and filters change)
    I've seen that for 0.6 litre it is recommended to use a 50mm oil filter in order not to dismount the whole car.
    Is it the same on 1.3 litres one?
    Can I use the normal oil filters 65mm high? If I use this size can these be removed/installed easily?

Thank you for your replies

2. Salieri

Salieri Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    Used to have a White Copen, but I sold it in 2023
    The filter is easily accessible, so you can basically buy whatever length you like.
    I can recommend MANN filters and using oil with MB-Approval 229.5.
    For my car I use Shell Helix Ultra AV-L 0W-30 and MANN-FILTER W 67/2

3. ady_bod

Car(s):
    Copen 1.3
    Thank you Salieri for your answer. I was afraid that would be the same hassle as 0.7 to do an oil change.
    I am thinking of using the oil from Total. Total Quartz Ineo Ecs 5W30 low saps approved by Toyota. Regarding the oil filter I was looking at Mann or Purflux which I know are also good.

4. Salieri

Car(s):
    Purflux is also good, but MANN has a better quality from what I saw when both brands were cut open
    ;)
    Total Quartz Ineo Ecs 5W30 only has ACEA C2, meaning the high temperature high shear viscosity will be lower than with a "regular" A3/B4 or C3 oil. I cannot recommend using it, as it does not protect the engine from wear adequately

If you want Total, go for Quartz 9000 Energy 5W-40 or Quartz Ineo Longlife 0W-30, they have all the manufacturers approvals you want!

QUARTZ 9000 ENERGY 5W-40 | TOTAL lubricants catalogue

5. ady_bod

Car(s):
    Copen 1.3
    Hi Salieri,
    Thanks for your answer.

I ve seen on the Total web site they recommend total quartz ineo MC3 with changing interval of 5000km or 6 months.
    Shell helix has one I don't remember which one with changing interval of 10k kilometres or 12 months.
    I don't know what the previous owner used before so I am a bit reluctant to use an 0W30 oil. I would prefer 5w30.
    Have you ever tried Motul, Valvoline, Liquy Moly, or Castrol Edge before?

The reason why I am looking at Total is because I have a Citroen C5 and among the Citroen lovers almost all of them recommended Total oils as being the best ones for this picky engine.
    They recommend the Purflux filters vs Mann due to the way that these are designed and not using those paper straight lines( see attached) and also because this is the OEM filter for Citroen.
    I really appreciate your opinion.
    Thank you

Attached Files:

6. Salieri

Car(s):
    Total quartz ineo MC3 is also OK, its neither good nor bad, a "standard" oil, nothing special.
    Daihatsu says 15.000km or 1 year oil change interval for the 1.3 liter engine. I would not give too much attention to the "oil finders" recommendations on the manufacturers webpages, more often than not they have the wrong information for our car :D

Citroen is a french brand, of course people will praise Total and Purflux, as they are also french.
    If you want more information on the inner workings of filters, I recommend you go here:

Ölfiltersektion: Purflux LS 245

Be aware this site is in german, however you can copy the text into www.deepl.com and have it translated by a neural network (better than google translate). I quote:

Motul, Valvoline, Liqui Moly (made by Meguin) and Castrol are OK, but not the "cremé de la cremé".
    If you want top shelf optimum performance, take a look at this: RAVENOL VST SAE 5W-40 - Ravenol

Pourpoint of -54°C - this oil is truly fully synthetic, not like most who just claim to be.

7. ady_bod

Car(s):
    Copen 1.3
    So which one is your preferred one for 1.3 engine?

Also can you recommend me a gear box oil please.
    Sometimes it's not going smooth in the first gear and I am looking to change this one also, maybe it will sort this issue
    The Copen is from 2007 and has only 28k miles.

8. Salieri

Car(s):
    For regular city driving I would (and am) using Shell Helix Ultra AV-L 0W-30. I have tried a lot of oils and for me this is the best.
    You can find it here: https://www.123spareparts.co.uk/engine-oils/SHELL/Helix-Ultra-Professional-AV-L-0W-30/p-OIL-603

If you are a little race car driver, I would recommend the Ravenol VST 5W-40 or a similar product (5W-40 with MB-Approval 229.5)
    You can find it here(expensive shipping to Ireland!!!): RAVENOL VollSynth Turbo VST SAE 5W-40 | ATO24

If you are on a budget: TOTAL QUARTZ 9000 ENERGY 5W-40 - Engine oil - Oils at 123spareparts.co.uk

As for gearbox oil I use Castrol Syntrans Transaxle 75W-90. Its really good :D Will improve shifting, but the first gear not going in smoothly cannot be fixed 100%
    You can find it here: https://www.123spareparts.co.uk/engine-oils/CASTROL/Syntrans-Transaxle-75W-90/p-OIL-139

You need 3,5 liters of engine oil and 2,1 liters of gearbox oil

9. ady_bod

Car(s):
    Copen 1.3
    Thank you Salieri for your help and time writing on this forum!

10. ady_bod

Car(s):
    Copen 1.3
    Hi Salieri

I have some difficulties finding your shell oil. I am looking to buy everything that I need from one website and a lot of them don't have your oil. I found this one instead.
    I Have attached the specs for both of them. Can you tell me your opinion in relation to these 2 please.

Thank you
    Helix HX8 ECT 5W-30

Attached Files:

11. Salieri

Car(s):
    Hi,

just tell me the site you are looking to buy off of and I will take a look

12. ady_bod

Car(s):
    Copen 1.3
    I am looking on misterauto.ie
    buycarparts.co.uk
    Or autodoc.co.uk.

I think opieoils.co.uk has it but they night change a lot for delivery.
    All of them has this Shell Helix HX8 ECT 5W30

it can create confusion as there is just an HX8 oil or just ECT oil. The specs that i've attached in the previous post is for HX8 ECT.
    Thank you.