Control panel needed

Discussion in 'Problems, Fixes, Tips...' started by Sharplady, Feb 9, 2017.

1. Sharplady

Sharplady Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Copen
    Hello People!

My poor Ruby - 2008 1298model - got lots of water in her boot, causing some sort of electrical disaster. Her roof won't move and I couldn't open the boot electronically. The hydraulic pump kept ticking so it hoovered up all the power and I had to jump start her every time I wanted to go anywhere. My lovely mechanic has disconnected the gubbins in the boot so she won't short-circuit and go on fire (of which I thoroughly approve!). He had tried to dry it out and clean it up but says he reckons she needs a new control panel. I have tried to Google control panels but keep getting AC control panels which is not what he is talking about.

I see from another post that a firm N.T. Shaw of Louth are helpful in sourcing parts.

Does this sound OK or is there any further advice from you experts please?

2. BarnsleyRob

BarnsleyRob Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    2009/59 silver Copen 1298 cc (now gone to a new home)
  3. Sharplady

Car(s):
    Copen
    Thank you so much Bob! I'll show this to my mechanic tomorrow. I'm really grateful for your help.

4. Barry Copen

Barry Copen Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    58 reg. R40 red 1.3 Copen; now gone, I'm afraid.
    11 reg. MX5 2.0 Kendo
    68 reg. BMW 1 Series
    In case it's important, I understand that there are two roof ECUs, 97205 & 97206.....

5. BarnsleyRob

Car(s):
    That's an important point as the unit on flea bay is still quite expensive.

6. Soc

Soc Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen
    Hi Sharplady

I sympathise with your situation. Water has been entering into my Copens boot since I have had it (8 months ago) I have done everything possible such as adjust the boot lid, clean the rubbers, seal the third brake light etc.
    My roofs ECU nearly made contact with water which build up over time whilst I was away on Holiday for 10 days so to avoid this I have remove the rubber bungs and left them off ever since as to act as a drain.

When the weather gets better hopefully next month, I will take all the boots carpets etc and prep the boot floor and give it a coat of Rust Oleum Hard Hat spray pain in Steel grey. This is the closest match to the original color and it will offer a water proof coating so that rust will hopefully not form. I will also place a tiny endoscope camera which I have for engine inspections to see where the water is coming from, my suspicions is that the water is entering via the back horizontal and back corner rubbers where the boot lid presses against when shut and try and fix the issue. If I cant well I just have to live with it. All convertibles leak eventually. This is the nature of the beast. The key thing is to make sure the water quickly drains away so thus avoiding damage to the pump and ECU. Good luck finding a replacement ECU.

7. Sharplady

Car(s):
    Copen
    Thanks all very much for the advice. I really appreciate it!

8. Sharplady

Car(s):
    Copen
    I ordered the ECU you showed me Bob. Following my mechanic's advice I phoned them and they are happy to refund cash within 30 days if it's the wrong thing. My mechanic said to watch out they didn't try to give me a credit note.

I'm so happy to have finally found a garage in Edinburgh that's happy to work on Ruby. The owner's taken it over from his Dad who wants to spend his retirement building 1928 vintage cars!!!!

9. Sharplady

Car(s):
    Copen
    Oh and when I ordered the ECU I got a 10% discount - so only £104. Better price!

10. BarnsleyRob

Car(s):
    Glad to be able to help. Fingers crossed it sorts the problem.

11. Sharplady

Car(s):
    Copen
    I'm so sorry Rob - I answered the first post without my reading glasses, calling you Bob.

12. BarnsleyRob

Car(s):
    No worries, I've been called Bill and Baldrick in my time ! Amongst the more printable options that is.

Salieri likes this.
  13. BarnsleyRob

Car(s):
    @Sharplady
    Have you managed to get the roof fixed ?

14. Sharplady

Car(s):
    Copen
    Not yet. Got the right control unit and my lovely mechanic has been working on it. He's got the boot opening and closing but not the roof. He says when they try the blip test they're getting 15 error codes! He's going to try opening the roof manually to see if it needs lubricating or if there's another microswitch he can't find.

Any suggestions welcome!

15. Sharplady

Car(s):
    Copen
    Well, I picked up Ruby today. She's fixed!!!! My fabulous mechanics spent hours and hours researching what was wrong and how to fix it. They did loads of work. And only charged me for 3 hours labour!

So for anyone near Edinburgh I thoroughly recommend Reith Motors Ltd. They're on a wee road way down near the bottom of Leith Walk/Easter Road.

Thanks very much to everyone here for the advice and support.

16. welz

welz Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    copen 2003
    And what was the problem in the end?:eek:

17. Sharplady

Car(s):
    Copen
    Water! Ruined the control unit and all joints needed lubrication. The manual on here was really helpful, as was Youtube. Yay for modern technology!