Condensation in boot lid

Discussion in 'Problems, Fixes, Tips...' started by ct30, Nov 4, 2020.

1. ct30

ct30 Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen
    Hi all
    We had our first frost last night and woke up this morning to find the inside of the boot lid with condensation on it. Anyone else experienced this? Or have any tips on how to stop it?
    Also got a bit of a leak in the boot only seems to come in when it’s windy and rainy - not sure where it is coming in from but the back of the boot on the left hand corner at the back seemed to be wet where I’d put some paper. Never been wet there before! Many thanks

2. sunlover

sunlover Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Copen
    HI it could be from the rear brake light, quite a common issue unfortunately. Pop in leaky boot in the search bar, loads threads and tips, hope you get it sorted.

3. ct30

ct30 Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen
    Thank you for coming back to me. I noticed that on a post you mentioned a car cover, where is you get yours from and how easy is it to put on and remove if you wanted to go for a drive? Does it stop the water and condensation in boot? Thanks

4. sunlover

Car(s):
    Copen
    Hi funny enough spent all yesterday getting my car ready for winter. I got the cover from storm cover uk, ill be totally honest it doesn't look much but I do put my car away over winter as I have poor eye sight and driving in the dark is no good for me , however the cover stood up to really bad weather we had up here last year and when uncovered in Feb the car looked fab! Its a pain to take off and put on as there are straps that go right under the car, ive also got the anti theft on it with a padlock. I'd recommend it but not for ease of use removing daily etc.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2020
  5. sunlover

Car(s):
    Copen
    One thing may be worth trying as a temporary measure, and actually I still do this and dont have condensation now is get some old tights lol, cut one of the legs off and fill it with wood cat litter, tie the end and put in the dip in the boot, not the lower bit where the ecu is but under the carpet and in the middle of the boot, sort of middle of the metal if that makes sense. The cat litter will absorb any moisture much better than the dehumidifier pads you get and much cheaper. Replace regularly say monthly if it needs it until you can maybe get the break light resealed.

6. Tieak

Tieak Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Copen 1.3 2007
    Fiat 500
    Seat Leon
    Hi,

Just to hopefully help. I use a similar approach as the cat litter but use dried rice instead in a large open tray. I also take the rice indoors occasionally and stick in the airing cupboard to dry it out again and reuse. Seems to work well, though I need to remember it's there before I go for drives to avoid the rice going everywhere.

I'm also a little sad in as much as I open the boot on cold days to allow it to "fill" with some nice dry air - that is air with low levels of humidity - as this is less likely to condense later. I am also fortunate to have the car in the garage too, which helps avoids frost etc.

7. ct30

ct30 Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen
    Thank you for all of your replies had strong winds and rain here this weekend - checked the boot and it’s wet again now debating the brake light reseal but a bit nervous on doing it!