1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cold Feed Induction Kit Fitted

Discussion in 'Modifications' started by Lotuseater, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Lotuseater

Lotuseater Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    1.3 Copen
    Have finished the install of the Induction Kit and I have to say that everything has gone very well.
    Took a bit of time to find the right bits/ parts and the right Induction kit, but overall pretty painless!

The fit to the engine bay is nice and look is very pleasing!

Have only travelled about 40 miles so far, but the performance difference is very noticeable. The Engine just Sings! Take the Copen up to 3,000+ rpm and the engine note is Fantastic - Music!

At first I thought that there maybe an issue with the Copen on tickover, but it runs perfectly, in fact better than with the Old Air Box!

Have always thought that the engine, at speed, felt a little stifled, but not anymore - the engine revs so much more freely now.

If you have ever thought about fitting an Induction Kit to a 1.3 then my advice would be do it, especially as a main dealer will want £30+ for an Air Filter.

Have attached a few photos for interest.

Enjoy - Lotuseater.

Attached Files:

2. Adam K

Adam K Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Nissan Cube Kaizen
    Nice work, looks off the shelf.
    Do you have a list of parts & where you bought them so others can replicate your solution?

3. Lotuseater

Car(s):
    1.3 Copen
    Thought you might say that! Will have to dig out the bills as I have been buying/ playing around with different bits for about four months - most off of the net and one part for Daihatsu (which I have to say was very expensive for what it was!)

One bit, the silicon hose I had to cut to the right length, little bit of trial and error, but I got there after about 3 cuts!

The bracket to support the whole thing (not shown in the photos) was a pig, mounted of off the old support for the Air Box - will say that all the 'little' bits/ brackets etc I had in my garage, so might be difficult to source?

'Ramair' the people that made the Induction Kit were very helpful and supplied all the sizes prior to purchase - have to say that the Kit is nicely put together - Carbon Fibre - all made in the UK - and will run up to 200bhp!

4. jmaboko@gmail.com

jmaboko@gmail.com Copenworld Newbie

Hi there

How is your fuel consumption since you have made the conversion?

Joseph

5. Lotuseater

Car(s):
    1.3 Copen
    Early days yet, have only done about 60 miles since the instal. What I have noticed is that the engine seems to be under less strain! Strange thing I know, but it just feels to run with a much more relaxed note - difficult to explain!
    With that said I would hope that a more relaxed engine will produce better MPG!? Let's see how it gets on over the coming weeks.

Regards,
    Lotuseater.

6. poongpoong

poongpoong Copenworld Newbie

Nice Idea ! :)

7. Lotuseater

Car(s):
    1.3 Copen
    Took the Copen to the Volksworld show at Sandown Park at the weekend - number of interesting glances and a couple of "What is it?" Overall good day and the weather to go with it!

Door to door 289 miles, used 6.12 gals, so 47.2 MPG - not bad for almost 80 MPH! near non stop, and with the roof down! (that's only 1 mile less than my diesel Mazda)

Happy with that, and the lovely sound that the Induction Kits makes - the sound is even better when the roof is off!

Buying the Copen has to be one of the best things I have done and fitting the Kit has to be the second best!

Enjoy.

8. Lotuseater

Car(s):
    1.3 Copen
    Parts used were:

1) Black Silicone Hose 90 degree elbow reducer 076 > 060 mm - used AP Motorstore - ebay, about £14.

2) Air hose reducer 2 step 76 > 70 mm OD - used Demon Tweeks, about £17.

3) Induction Kit - Ramair CBM 900s - £69 + I ordered a slightly longer intake pipe (600mm long) which was an extra £6.

4) Selection of Jubliee clips - Local DIY store.

Bolt it all together and you get a lovely sound and far better performance!

Enjoy.

9. 2Big

2Big Copenworld Newbie

Like the look of that & the fact it makes it run easier.
    Any idea if the same kit would fit the lickle copen, 659cc?? or indeed if it would do anything, only had the car a few months & there ain't much room under there.

10. Adam K

Adam K Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Nissan Cube Kaizen
    Nope the 1.3 kit won't fit to the 659.
    There are kits available for the 659, but they're not cheap.

11. jmaboko@gmail.com

I noticed on my 1300 that there is air flow sensor on the original plastic induction pipe just after the air filter. I want to know what you did with the sensor and where did you put it, as I cannot see it in your pictures.

Great conversion !!!

12. Lotuseater

Car(s):
    1.3 Copen
    Hi,

I took the sensor out from the Air Box and relocated it in a hole I made in the black silicone in-take pipe - I put it at the back to the pipe as there was more room. The cable is quite long so there is scope to position it in a number of different places.

Have to say that I have been very pleased with the results!

Hope this helps?

13. jmaboko@gmail.com

Thanks, that helps indeed!

14. jmaboko@gmail.com

A quick question. The pipe that is connected to the inlet of the cone filter, i see that it goes downwards. can you post a picture where that pipe ends and where the infeed of the pipe is. You wouldn't want dust to be sucked in from the ground while driving :).

15. Lotuseater

Car(s):
    1.3 Copen
    The pipe heads downwards behind the back of the radiator fan housing, then down past and is level with the gear box. I have tried to direct the end of the intake pipe towards the side of the car, N/S> this I hope will stop any muck going up and into the cone.

I hope the above will help - that said I will take a few photo's and post in due course.

Will say that I have done approx 1000 miles since the install and when I have checked the filter there has been no sign of any muck etc.

regards..

16. jmaboko@gmail.com

That helps !! I am looking forward to seeing the pictures. I am still trying to source the same type of cone filter as yours as i believe (since there is limited space where its installed) it sucks in cool air from outside the car.

Instead of the normal cone that would suck in hot air from the engine area.
    I am based in Johannesburg, South Africa.

17. Lotuseater

Car(s):
    1.3 Copen
    Photo's as requested.

Hope this helps? (would suggest that you will have more dust in SA than here in the UK!)

Regards.

Attached Files:

18. Quartz

Quartz Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Grey Copen 2007
    Some great photos. What would members recommend? The induction type mentioned here, or the cone open air filters that are also for sale?

Cheers.

19. Adam K

Adam K Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Nissan Cube Kaizen
    It depends on the engine. For the 660 engine a cone or mushroom type is fine as it's at the front of the engine getting direct cold air. Although you should put a shield up to prevent water getting on it.
    For the 1.3, Lotuseaters filter is spot on.
    Due to the location of the air filter it could suffer from heat soak (taking hot air from in the engine bay which reduces power). Cold air is better. Lotuseaters setup takes cold air in from outside.

20. Lotuseater

Car(s):
    1.3 Copen
    Have had the kit fitted for about 6 months now and i still cannot get over the difference it makes to the cars performance, i mean economy.

No issues with the car at all, in fact it runs like a dream, and i will say it again the noise it makes is fab, music.....