1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cockpit panel removing

Discussion in 'Problems, Fixes, Tips...' started by Toozalii, Sep 28, 2016.

1. Toozalii

Toozalii Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Copen 1.3
    Champagne Gold
    I'm trying to find an alarm module fitted by a previous owner and suspect it is in the cockpit somewhere??? (Can't see anything around the engine compartment apart from a little pressure switch on the front right, passenger side which I think is linked into the alarm.)

Can anyone tell me how to safely remove some of the cockpit panels such as around the steering wheel, etc?

Limboing under the steering wheel is not doing me any good!!!

2. Your Majesty

Your Majesty Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Copen, no other car.
    - if it helps, the alarm module on some Copens is fitted in the boot underneath the carpet next to the roof motor

3. Toozalii

Car(s):
    Copen 1.3
    Champagne Gold
    Thanks for the suggestion Your Majesty but unfortunately no luck searching in the boot.

Next day:
    After a lot of frustration trying to stare under the speedo panels I started trying to take the centre consol covers off with the help of some nifty blue plastic tools from EBay. (See in the photo below)

Low and behold, under the cig lighter and ash tray unit is the after market Alarm control box stuck on with double sided tape, hoorah!

Now have to lay Bette Bumble up for a day or two as the alarm unit needs to be sent off for reprogramming and two new fobs (expensive alarm, expensive repairs, thanks previous owner......) and the ignition doesn't function without the control box in circuit.

Interestingly enough the metal containing box for the plastic ash tray was badly dented. How do you manage to do that???

Photo below of the after market control box on the right under the cig lighter.
    image.jpeg

BarnsleyRob likes this.
  4. Toozalii

Car(s):
    Copen 1.3
    Champagne Gold
    Ok, the plastic panel removal saga continues.......

The alarm repair chappie (in London) says he can add an extra wire from the reprogrammed replacement after market alarm unit that will allow the second button on the new fobs to open Bette Bumble's boot. Hoorah!!!

I now need to lift off the central consol covers (from gear stick back) to run an extra wire to the boot opening button in the rear consol pocket.

Any suggestions on how to remove the consol panel top, preferably before I get started with a blunt screwdriver..........???

5. Number6

Number6 Inactive User

Car(s):
    2005 0.7L Copen
    I remember removing the console to adjust the handbrake cable. Here are the, rough, steps I used.

On each side of the console, near the carpet, there are screws / bolts. Memory says there are 4. Undo these
    Inside the console, there's a plastic blanking plate, about the size of a 2 euro coin. Pop that off and there's a bolt / screw to undo
    Where the open cubby is, at the far back of the console, there's another screw / bold. Undo that as well.

It should then come away easily with lifting.

6. Toozalii

Car(s):
    Copen 1.3
    Champagne Gold
    Ooooo, thank you Number 6, very helpful instructions indeed.

I'll have a go on Thursday.
    (Like your Utube Copen videos by the way!! Keep them coming)

Had a look for the side screws and located them by moving the seat forward.
    Inside the consol are all the screws as you mentioned plus another one towards the centre. See photo.
    Maybe my boot really will open with key fob zapping by Saturday???
    image.jpeg

7. Number6

Number6 Inactive User

Car(s):
    2005 0.7L Copen
    I was gonna make one about tightening up the handbrake cable and thought "That's simple, no one will need that"... how silly I was.

Be careful pulling out the console, there are one or two pairs of wires attached, and you've to lift it off at a weird angle to get over the petrol cap and handbrake. Slow and steady wins the race

8. Toozalii

Car(s):
    Copen 1.3
    Champagne Gold
    Make the handbrake video!
    And others.
    There are a lot of us dumbos around who need a bit of video encouragement........

9. Neil50

Neil50 Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    2004 Copen, yellow red leather interior
    2006 525d BMW 5 Series Touring MSport
    Audi A2
    I have bought a spare console for Waspy to paint yellow to see how it balances between the red leather seats and the red radio/heater surround. It is the correct body colour code so we will see how it goes.

10. welz

welz Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    copen 2003
    paint it black

:)

11. Your Majesty

Car(s):
    Copen, no other car.
    A good idea, I hope it goes well.

12. Toozalii

Car(s):
    Copen 1.3
    Champagne Gold
    Finally found time to lift up the between seats central consol and fit the new wires from my after market alarm to the boot opening button.

It was surpringly easy, courtesy of Number6's info above. Ta Number6.

A little black rectangular piece pops out of the console front from under the handbrake so don't loose it. Easy to push back in after finishing.

A nightmare extending and then getting the correct wiring to the correct pins on the alarm module (totally different configuration to the instructions!!!!) but it's done now and the second zapper button wonderfully opens the boot lid now, such unashamed Luxury!!!

Photos below:
    Side panel screw locations on the driver side, screwdriver and blue plastic tool pointing to the screws. Similar two screws on the passenger side. Move the seats right forward.

A reminder photo of the top three screws to remove within the arm rest box. Left (front) one under a snap in cover. The console then tips forward, up at the back, low at the front seemed easier.

Floor area under the central console

Underside of the central console propped up with a screwdriver.

I also found that there is a large amount of space in front of the gear stick and under the ash tray. What can I put in there? My wife suggested a folding umbrella store? (Maybe not such a silly idea?.... Hmmm...)
    image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Zippy and Your Majesty like this.
  13. Your Majesty

Car(s):
    Copen, no other car.
    Whilst you're about it, a great little addition is to cut some carpet or similar to line the storage under the armrest - it'll reduce some of the rattling from pens, parking change or whatever you dump in there ;)

14. Number6

Number6 Inactive User

Car(s):
    2005 0.7L Copen
    Indeed! I cut up an old scrap carpet floor tile from the office and it worked a treat. You can also get those cheap latticed rubber anti-split mats, which are far easier to cut than office floor tiles.