1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Clutch Query

Discussion in 'Problems, Fixes, Tips...' started by Jezza, Nov 17, 2011.

1. Jezza

Jezza Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    copen and Hijet
    Hi all, want to ask your opinions on this as its been bugging me for a while now!!
    My clutch is very hard to engage gently no matter how careful I am with the pedal. It seems to grab all at once, maybe I'm just an awful driver but I've never experienced this with any of my other cars ( clutch on my mk4 Golf TDI is really smooth in comparison) my copen is the 660 turbo model, is the clutch hydraulic or on a cable that may need Greasing ? Is this just a quirk of the car ? I'm sure some of you guys / girls can put me right. Cheers Jez:think::think:

2. Adam K

Adam K Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Nissan Cube Kaizen
    Mine is a lovely smooth change.
    I'd get a mechanic to check it out.

3. dwayner

dwayner Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    A 2005 copen and a
    Camry Sportivo
    dwayner

It should be very soft - but i know what you mean - mine did that when i first got it - and it went away in time. might just require adjustment - which i had during a service also

4. issuefixed

issuefixed Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    yes
    It might be that the engaging point of the clutch is too low; meaning you'd have to step on it real hard to change, and slightly lifting the pedal would engage it immediately. Mine was like this the first year, and got it adjusted at the garage. The mechanic tightened the clutch cable "one turn" on the adjustment screw. It's a cable, so it does get loose over time.

5. Adam K

Adam K Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Nissan Cube Kaizen
    Check out section F1 of the service manual regarding the clutch. It describes how to adjust the clutch cable.

6. smx

smx Copenworld Member

I might need to check mine then too, since i have got it i allways struggled with the quick engagement, i get used to it after a while but allways stall first time after i have been driving our Mazda for a while.

7. Jezza

Jezza Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    copen and Hijet
    Thanks gang, that's put my mind at rest !! will check out the Manual section on adjustment. SMX... I stall the little blighter every time after driving the Golf but didn't want to admit it ( the wife gives me enough stick and the ego is well and truly bruised ) Luckily you folks are more helpful !!! Jez