1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cloning the remote

Discussion in 'Problems, Fixes, Tips...' started by davidalanbatt, May 14, 2018.

1. davidalanbatt

davidalanbatt Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    none
    !

Last edited: Jul 15, 2018
  2. gotboost?

gotboost? Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    2003 Daihatsu Copen
    You may need to call your local Daihatsu dealer to ask. Alternatively, some locksmiths are able to do it.

davidalanbatt likes this.
  3. adatara

adatara Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    L880 Copen; have a Honda Airwave (long Honda Fit); had Subaru Foresters
    I live in Japan, got my Copen last year & it didn't have a remote when I got the car. Finally getting the remote @ a Daihatsu dealer for ¥10,100 (about 68Pounds?) then yay getting wiring to open the roof remotely installed, rust spots repaired. Hope it can be cloned for cheaper.

davidalanbatt likes this.
  4. Vin Petrol

Vin Petrol Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    2004 0.7 Copen
    I just rang a company on ebay that had a Copen breaking, asked if they had the fob and how much, guy said £15 delivered I said done.

adatara and davidalanbatt like this.
  5. Flossy

Flossy Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen 1.3 ( Grey ) 08
    Ok not sure if I’ll look like a bit dim in asking this question.....apologies in advance, I have 2 fobs for my copen with cobra on, which was presuming was the alarm and buttons don’t seem to do anything with the car but the red light goes on when pressed on the fob indicating they’re working???
    I’d expected that to be remote locking and the boot release......

6. BarnsleyRob

BarnsleyRob Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    2009/59 silver Copen 1298 cc (now gone to a new home)
    @Flossy

There are a couple of different style Cobra remotes so a picture would help. Mine had 3 buttons; lock, unlock, and boot release. The red light in front of the gearstick is for the alarm/immobiliser. If the car isn’t started soon after pressing the unlock button, the immobiliser will kick in again. You should also have a 4 digit PIN code that you can use to override the immobiliser if needed.

Brad and Flossy like this.
  7. Flossy

Flossy Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):

8. Flossy

Flossy Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
  9. Flossy

Flossy Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Thanks @BarnsleyRob
    Ok I have pin code on paperwork and manual, photos attached are my key and the alarm inside the car. I reckon it needs reprogramming as isn’t doing anything.
    What I’m wondering is if fob is just for alarm or if it does remote locking too?!

10. BarnsleyRob

Car(s):
    @Flossy

That’s the 7777 type, which is different to the erosion I had. Mine had 3 keys and operated the central locking (lock/unlock) and remote boot release.

I’m sure another UK user will be along soon to help. Unfortunately, wise users like @Salieri don’t have the Cobra fitted.

Out of interest, does the central locking work off the key or does it just open one door.

11. Salieri

Salieri Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    Used to have a White Copen, but I sold it in 2023
    Central locking also works using the key, and oh boy is that an ugly remote (the cobra one) :D
    Given that you do not have the regular key fob, it will probably also do remote lock/unlock, but do not ask me the specifics, as BarnsleyRob pointed out, I have a different remote

12. Flossy

Flossy Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):

13. Flossy

Flossy Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Yes the key, opens both doors.

14. Flossy

Flossy Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Oh dear...............I have an ugly remote!!! Lol I have 2 of them, thought they were ok looking, almost alien like, somehow cute! Ah well me and my ugly remotes will skulk off quietly in the corner and keep quiet............only kidding.
    Thanks anyways Fairly useless at the moment to me as not doing anything seemingly.

Brad likes this.
  15. BarnsleyRob

Car(s):
    @Flossy

If you use the key in the drivers door, does that operate the central locking and simultaneously operate the passenger door ? If so, try replacing the battery in one of the fobs as it may be that it’s too flat to transmit properly.

Flossy likes this.
  16. Flossy

Flossy Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Yes it does open doors centrally from drivers door but not passenger’
    I
    Thought the key fob would only be for the alarm though on and off although would love it to work the boot and open and close. As it’s only the cobra fob???
    I shall try changing the batteries and go from there. Cheers

17. BarnsleyRob

Car(s):
    @Flossy

The Cobra unit is a UK unit fitted by Daihatsu UK. As far as I know, all of the Cobra systems operated the remote central locking and immobiliser. Mine had a separate button for the boot but I think that on your fob, a long press of the big button would remotely open the boot.

One thing to note though is that if you use the remote to lock the car and the key to open it, the alarm will go off until you press the unlock button on the fob or punch in the PIN code. The transponder in the Daihatsu key will also allow you to start the engine.