Check your oil level after getting it serviced at a garage.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Adam K, Nov 17, 2012.

1. Adam K

Adam K Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Nissan Cube Kaizen
    I noticed recently a slight oil leak on my Copen. The car had been serviced oil & filter when I had the MOT about a month ago. I was being lazy not doing it myself.
    I thought perhaps the sump nut or oil filter was a bit loose. Checked the oil this morning to see how much oil was being lost. The level was well over the maximum! So I've promptly drained some out, at least 0.5litres came out. Now it's just below the max level. Not too impressed with my mechanic. I won't be using him again.
    I'm hoping the engine oil pressure was high due to the over fill. Which caused some oil to seap out. Going by where the oil seems to be coming from I'm wondering if the seal on the dip stick tube has failed.
    I'll monitor it now the oil level is correct.

My advice to you all is that if you've had your oil changed by a garage. Check the oil level yourself after.

2. DaG

DaG Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Copen 1.3
    My daughter bought a chevrolet kalos which had been serviced a couple of months before she bought it. I checked it over and found the oil was well over filled.
    It makes you wonder If some mechanics just chuck an amount of oil in and dont bother to check the level. I suppose it's because they have to do a service in a limited time and if they do overfill they don't bother to drain some out. Ive always done my own servicing, the problem is you can devalue the car if it has missing stamps in the book. Buyers look for cars with full service history yet standards of some garages are shocking today.

3. Adam K

Adam K Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Nissan Cube Kaizen
    I keep the reciepts for the oil & filters buy as service history.

4. DaG

DaG Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Copen 1.3
    I do that as well but the stamped book is still preferred.
    The Kalos I mentioned had a very comprehensive history. There was receipts for recentish work totalling over 2k including a new clutch, brake discs and shockers. This on a car worth 1500 pounds, seemed a bit daft. The owner used expensive garages the prices were a real rip off.

5. Adam K

Adam K Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Nissan Cube Kaizen
    Got my oil leak fixed. Not only did my previous mechanic overfill the oil. He didn't fit the oil filter tightly enough! Had the filter replaced incase the o-ring had been damaged & the oil topped up. First job this morning, check the oil level!