Changing spark plugs & what type?

Discussion in 'Problems, Fixes, Tips...' started by Crystal copen, Oct 24, 2013.

1. Crystal copen

Crystal copen Copenworld Member

Hi, the missis Copen has thrown a CEL light again and I've got a feeling it's the spark plugs as these haven't been changed since she bought the car 18 months ago, plus there's no knowing if these were swapped before purchasing it, so they could be well over 2 years old.

Are these easy to change or a right pain and best left to the garage?

Also what's the correct plugs for the 659cc turbo engine? Cars completely standard.

Thanks Dave

2. jaspark

jaspark Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    copen
    I don't think you need to replace them that often. Service interval is normally 5-6 years.

3. Crystal copen

5 to 6 years :eek:

That's seems way over what I'm used to, I'd have thought with such a small cc engine it would need more regular maintenance?

4. Adam K

Adam K Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Nissan Cube Kaizen
  5. Crystal copen

That's great thanks Adam, I think the cars approaching 60k so might be worth swapping them out anyway.

Are these easy to change? I only ask as I tried changing my old AMG plugs years ago only to find it needed half the engine bay removed to change the last few :-(( (16 in all!!)

6. Adam K

Adam K Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Nissan Cube Kaizen
    Not done it personally, but I read someone did it in about ten minutes.

Member SMX:

7. trustafox

trustafox Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Yes
    I changed mine and they were easy. Although it was the 1.3 but I'd imagine its the same with it being a DOHC. Straight down the middle.

I think there are 3 things to note when changing plugs.
    1) don't let debris etc fall down the channel
    2) be slow and careful when you threading the new SP in. Chill, don't rush and get angry because if you cross thread it and/ore strip the threads you will be swearing a lot more.
    3) don't over tighten.

8. Silver Rollerskate

Silver Rollerskate Copenworld Member

The plugs are fairly easy to change.

You'll have to remove a pipe which is located over the coils. This involves loosening the clamps (just used pliers) x4 and undoing a couple of bolts. Then you're free to change the plugs.

copen engine.jpg

9. Crystal copen

That's great thanks!

I've checked the fault codes and it said cylinders 1-4 misfire so I'll try new plugs first and see if that sorts it :)

10. CA49000

CA49000 Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    '00 Honda Ferio SiR (Track Car)
    '06 Daihatsu Copen (Daily)
    '10 Daihatsu Sirion 1.5 Sport (Family Car)
    For the 1.3 owners: The spark plug guide at Daihatsu recommended NGK BKR6E-11 plugs.

11. Fuzz573

Fuzz573 Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Suzuki cappuccino
    I've bought new plugs for my copen turbo, can anyone advise me what size of tool I need to remove the plugs, I only have limited tools and nothing is reaching and turning the plug

Thanks

12. Adam K

Adam K Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Nissan Cube Kaizen
  13. Fuzz573

Car(s):
    Suzuki cappuccino
  14. Fuzz573

Car(s):
    Suzuki cappuccino
    Just incase anyone else needs a slim long reach socket for changing the plugs, halfords sell them for £5.40, it's the same as the eBay link above.

15. inaka_rob

inaka_rob Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    2003 Copen
    I am planning on getting some iridium plugs for my Copen.
    I have not tried them in the Copen, so I can not swear by them. yet. But I have a feeling it will make a difference.

I had a 15 year old Honda V twin motorcycle. I put some iridium plugs in there, and I swear the difference was night and day. There was so much more acceleration and throttle response.
    This isn't going to happen in your brand new Copen. Like I said my Honda was 15 years old. My Copen is a 2002. So I suspect I might see an improvement.

Its just like good tires wear down faster and cost more, but you get more traction. Iridium plugs don't last nearly as long as other plugs and usually cost more or as much as the longer lasting (but less efficient) platinum plugs.

16. scooty

scooty Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    2 x Daihatsu Copen, RHD
    1 x Daihatsu Trevis
    No, you will not notice any improvement, as the spark plugs used in the 660cc turbo-engine are Iridium anyway (NGK IFR6T-11).
    ;)

Andreas

17. inaka_rob

inaka_rob Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    2003 Copen
    Wow. Good to know! I am curious if mine current ones are indeed the NGK you listed. My car has cheapo no brand "eco" tires. For all I know the owner also put the cheapest spark plugs and used the cheapest oil.
    I just don't understand some car owners. I see so many sport car or sporty car owners out there with the cheapest tires they buy. WHY don't they know how important tires are. The entire car connects to the road through them. OH but that K+N filter. That adds 20hp. And the after market spoiler for driving to work. Of course we have to change the tail lights. But tires? no! Get the cheapest ones we can find.