1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Changed my tires

Discussion in 'Problems, Fixes, Tips...' started by issuefixed, Aug 16, 2011.

1. issuefixed

issuefixed Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    yes
    I just changed my tires: the originals were 5 years old and the right-front wheel started to leak real slowly, and they're really scary in the rain.

I've changed to a set of Yokohama "Earth-1", 165/55/R15. The big aftermarket retail shop I went to said 165/50/R15 tires were very rare and would be very costly. Costs me about USD$410 total.

They are fat, bulging from the rim, and looks thicker, although in theory they should only be thicker by 8mm radius; my speedometer should be more accurate now, instead of being "happy meters". Not recommended if you want to maintain the "low ride" visual effect of the originals.

The ride is now much softer, roof-up-rattles are about half of what I got, and I can really feel that they stick to earth much better. Haven't tried them in the rain yet, but looking at the patterns they should be a great improvement.

However, the left-front tire would now touch a plastic cover inside the wheel arch when I turn right, and going down a ramp or turning quickly, especially with two people in the car. I've tried to punch the cover back in place but its still happening occasionally. l'll ask the dealer to do something about it when I'm taking the car for maintenance next week.

2. Adam K

Adam K Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Nissan Cube Kaizen
    Can you post up some pictures of your new boots?

3. dwayner

dwayner Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    A 2005 copen and a
    Camry Sportivo
    dwayner

I had this same problem, so i switched to another tyre, made by Bridgestone
    Your right, they are rare size - only made for Copens basically - im on my 5th set of tyres so far, as i do a lot of driving. At one time, there was only 12 of the tyres in Australia in total!! so getting them, they just need a few days before i take it in. Never had a flat tyre or slow leak!! not having a spare, thats a good thing! Most ive paid is 165.00 per tyre, currently on another brand, as bridgestone have stopped making them.

4. issuefixed

issuefixed Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    yes