1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CD/DVD/Radio stopped working.

Discussion in 'Problems, Fixes, Tips...' started by tyke, May 19, 2016.

1. tyke

tyke Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    2004 Copen imported to Thailand from Japan
    Thanks to a forum member who posted a video of how to remove the fascia to install a replacement stereo, I replaced my aftermarket JVC CD with a Sony double din DVD player with Tom Tom navigation.

All was fine for a few weeks then I drove too fast over a smallish speed bump and my player went off. I've removed it and checked for loose wires, yellow and red power wires and black earth all seem ok.

I swapped the fuse at the back of the set with the one from the JVC that I took out

I've checked and swapped the 7.5 a fuse in the drivers footwell marked ACC and done the same with the 30 a fuse marked radio in the black fuse box under the bonnet.

Is there any other fuses I should check ?

Any ideas anyone?

2. tyke

tyke Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    I've noticed there is a relay marked Radio in the fuse box under the bonnet with another relay the same size next to it (can't remember what that is labelled), are these interchangeable to swap for a test ?

3. tyke

tyke Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Took my son to the park last Sunday, about 15 minute drive, then drove back, when 5 minutes from home, on a flat road with no speed bumps, the DVD suddenly came to life and booted up with the Sony logo etc. :banghead:

Not been out in it since but weather permitting I will tomorrow, let's see how long it lasts working.

4. tyke

tyke Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Grrrrr, still got this intermittent problem. Went over a bump and it went off again. Removed the unit and checked the power wires and they are a solid soldered connection. Re routed the earth to another solid connection. Jiggled all wires while doing this to check for loose connection and the unit still refused to work.
    Went for a drive and it wouldn't switch on, parked the car came back an hour later, turned the key and it came on immediately without driving it over any bumps.
    Are there connections I need to be checking for loose or bad connections from the wires running the other way, i.e. not to the stereo unit but to the source power/battery/fuse box?

5. tyke

tyke Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Any electricians out there ? Still have intermittent problem with stereo, especially when I go over a bump. I cut the soldered connection to the yellow wire and re connected it, still no joy. I ran a piece of wire direct from the positive terminal on the battery to the yellow wire and when I turn the key to acc or ign the stereo comes on immediately. I've deduced from this, rightly or wrongly, that the bad/loose connection is somewhere between the battery and the wiring harness in the dash which I believe runs via 2 fuse boxes, one under the bonnet and one in the foorwell. If I make the wire a permanent connection from the battery to the yellow wire will this cause any problems ? Drain on the battery ? Risk of fire ? Or better still how can I trace the wire from the harness on it's route to the battery ?