1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buying a Copen

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by DaisyDarling, Feb 18, 2015.

1. DaisyDarling

DaisyDarling Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen
  2. spillerlhj

spillerlhj Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Copen
    Landrover Series 2
    Check for rust!

Well I have just paid my deposit on this one: http://www.thealemotors.co.uk/cars/daihatsu/copen/coupe-cabriolet/371338

I'm paying £1000 more than you for lower mileage. £500 less than the asking. The rear wings/wheel arches have rust bubbling under paintwork and this is being resprayed. 6 month warranty and new MOT. The garage was surprised at how much the warranty insurance is going to cost them so I expect breakdowns!

Really looking forward to getting it and I'll give you a wave sometime!:)

3. ClareL

ClareL Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    1.3 2008 Copen
  4. DaisyDarling

DaisyDarling Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen
    Thanks guys :) I cannot wait!

5. dsb

dsb Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    copen vivid
    i looked at the theale one too and it was the rust that put me off - hopefully it will all be fine for you.

6. spillerlhj

spillerlhj Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Copen
    Landrover Series 2
    What a Joy!

It needed a new battery, an oil top up and three tires seem to have a slow puncture. Cigaret lighter didn't work and needed a replacement fuse. I've already done 850 miles in it including two trips to Taunton and one to Richmond starting from Pangbourne. I've averaged 35.1 MPG. I had concerns about the motorway but at 90 mph it is rock solid and still accelerates well. Journey times are same as with my 2.2l Turbo Dieseled Merc though MPG on the Merc was better.

Seems to use a bit of oil and is booked in for a full service at West End Garage for £420. That's everything and half what my last Merc service cost.

Rust repair looks good but from the Manual I seem to be missing the "Opening Cover". Do these help reduce the noise when running with the top down? Is it worth replacing?

7. dsb

dsb Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    copen vivid
    only the red vivid model had the tonneau cover - never used mine, not sure there's much need for it.
    yours won't have the hooks to connect it to either so not as simple as just buying one.

8. RichardG

RichardG Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Nissan Leaf
    BMW Mini Automatic
    Daihatsu Copen Automatic
    my Copen is black

yes I see it is said that the Vivid was a special only in red. my newly acquired car is black and automatic with red seats and the cover and the matching fixings.
    04 plate vehicle id L880K002885 what do suppose I've got?

9. Number6

Number6 Inactive User

Car(s):
    2005 0.7L Copen
    PM me your full VIN and I'll update this thread :)

10. ClareL

ClareL Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    1.3 2008 Copen
    The tonneau cover was an optional extra when the car was bought new as well as being on the Vivid. I have one fitted from new on my grey copen.