Burnig smell

Discussion in 'Problems, Fixes, Tips...' started by Sardine, Apr 14, 2013.

1. Sardine

Sardine Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Copen only
    Over the last week or so I have noticed is a rubbery/plasticy overheating/burning smell in the car after it has reached normal working temperature. It is not coming from the engine bay or the boot but I have noticed a whiff of the smell around the front nearside wheel area. The tyre, bearing and brake assembly looks fine and I have checked the exhaust run has nothing stuck to it. There is no visible smoke and it`s the same whether the car is moving or stationary. Oil and water levels are fine and the car is not overheating.
    The car had it` 3rd year service and 1st Mot in January without any issues coming to light and there is less than 7K on the clock. The only comparable experience IV` had is the death throes of an electronic device on a motorcycle engine.
    Has anybody had a similar problem?

2. dwayner

dwayner Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    A 2005 copen and a
    Camry Sportivo
    dwayner

i had a similar experience about 3 months ago.
    i had run through a puddle of something, clear like water, that once the engine heated up enough would vaporize and come through the car like a burning smell of rubber. It was only when the engine was warm - after about a few weeks, it disappeared. It was picked up when it went in for service. There was an earlier time, when i also had some "weeping" as they called it, around the turbo, and their was a "burning smell" after a few minutes of driving when the turbo became hot, But that too was picked up on servicing.

3. Sardine

Sardine Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Copen only
    Thanks for your observations dwayner. Sardine is a 1.3 but the decription you gave re the puddle sounds very like it.

Sardine.