Broken grill

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Rex, Oct 24, 2010.

1. Rex

Rex Copenworld Pioneer

Car(s):
    Copen
    Well, it started as a nice day out to Weston-Super-Mare to see the new pier and upon our return to the car found someone had reversed to it :-((.

Okay, it could be worse, but the grill is well and truly shattered and there is a dent in the centre of the bumper.

From the shape of the damage, it looks like the car had a towing hitch. There was a white (Astra??) van with a hitch parked in front when we parked!!

Know any grills going spare??

Rex.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2010
  2. Rex

Rex Copenworld Pioneer

Car(s):
    Copen
    An update......

The dealers want £190.74 PLUS VAT for a new grill- :eek: ridiculous!!!!! If anyone wants a reason NOT to buy a Copen - it has got to the cost of spares!

So it looks like I'll be buying THIS little beauty from ChomDesign. I have admired it for some time, but could never justify the cost (139 Euro). Now I certainly can ;)

In a strange coincidence - when I pulled into work today, there was a parking space next too a ..... White Astra Van with a tow hitch :eek:

Rex.

3. copenworld

copenworld Copenworld Founder Staff Member

Car(s):
    Copen
    Sounds like you're having a really bad day! That does sound like a rather high price for a grill.

Some photos of your replacement would be good when you get it. Even better would be some photos and a description of the replacement, which would be nice for the "how to" section. :)

4. Coxsie

Coxsie Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Copen + Signum
    Already got one !

Hi Rex,

Sorry to hear about your back luck, can't believe the cost of a new one from Daihatsu,
    I already have a new grille from ChomDesign. Excellent service from this company with speedy delivery.:)

Not the best photo in the world, a bit glarey (not sure that's a word) due to the sun, and only using my iphone.:think:

Looks a lot better in the flesh, I will try to get some better photo's next time.:D

Click on pic below for larger view

grille 1.jpg

5. Rex

Rex Copenworld Pioneer

Car(s):
    Copen
    Well Coxsie,
    Your great picture did it.... I've ordered the new grill from ChromDesign.

Now, I've heard you can get small dents out of plastic panels using a hair dryer. Hummmm, I'll have to wait until the wife is out to try that one :p

Rex.

6. machinehead

machinehead Copenworld Pioneer

That grill looks very similar to the one on my Copen. Very nice, if a little expensive.

You can see pics of mine in the "modifications" section along with some other mods Note the copen badge on the grill.
    M.

7. Rex

Rex Copenworld Pioneer

Car(s):
    Copen
    Where did you get the badge from M ?

Rex.

8. machinehead

machinehead Copenworld Pioneer

Unfortunately I can't help Rex.

All the parts were on the car from the dealer. It was a fancy demo model.

I did find a (Japanese I think) website selling all the gear on my car.

When I added the cost of all the parts up, without fitting costs, it came to an astonishing £2500ish.:eek::eek:

I'll rty to find the website. I think there migght be a link on this site?

M.

9. Rex

Rex Copenworld Pioneer

Car(s):
    Copen
    2nd update...

Grill hasn't arrived yet.
    Hair dryer idea on the bumper didn't work, so got price for a fill and spray job - £50 -
    So booked in for next week. At least I won't have to look at the dent every day then.

Rex.

10. Rex

Rex Copenworld Pioneer

Car(s):
    Copen
    Final update...

The dent in the bumper has been filled and painted - really good job for £50.

New grill arrived and fitted. It really is good quality and very well packed.

The 2nd picture shows the REVERSE side, showing the mesh weld details - not seen from the front!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fitting is very easy... Just the three screws at the top. The bottom has two lugs that fit into the existing holes.

Here is the final product :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think it look much better than the plastic original !!!

Rex.

11. smx

smx Copenworld Member

Very nice, i like!