1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Breather Popped Off

Discussion in 'Problems, Fixes, Tips...' started by Dom, Jun 30, 2021.

1. Dom

Dom Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    2004 Copen 660
    2014 VW Up!
    May as well start a thread in the relevant section, recently purchased a Copen after a 2.5 year wait.
    On the test drive the dump was ridiculously loud which I thought wasn't right but 1 owner from new and he assured me it was unmodified.
    So I took the engine cover off and poked around, found the breather from the rocker cover was disconnected.
    IMG_20210629_135825.jpeg
    I've reattached it but I'm concerned as to what made it come off, bad PCV?

I noticed when I test drove the oil showed above the maximum but the car was parked on a slope, the oil had been changed less than 200 miles prior and was a nice golden colour so I put it down to the slope. Decided to check it again now parked on the flat but it was still above the max by atleast 1cm. Could've been causing excess crankcase pressure and popped the hose off maybe?
    Fortunately I have overfilled a car in the past so I had a large syringe and some narrow hose, so shoved this down the dipstick tube and syphoned out 300ml before it finally came down to the top marker.
    Been for a little drive and the hose has stayed on but was the oil my likely cause or would this be something else?
    TIA

2. Quartz

Quartz Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Grey Copen 2007
    Remove the excess oil as soon as possible on a flat surface when the engine is cold, if not you'll increase the risk of blowing the engine significantly!. As for the breather pipe if it is not blocked or split and the clip is good it can simply be re-attached. Too much oil in the engine will cause extra pressure, reduced flow, foaming and extra load on the oil pump among other things - and that is not something you want for a small turbo engine. It might only be a little more than a cup full or so of oil at 1cm too much on the dip stick, but this is a small capacity engine with a turbo running at pressure.
    After that everything should all run fine.

Dom likes this.
  3. Dom

Dom Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    2004 Copen 660
    2014 VW Up!
    As above I removed 300ml when I noticed that it was overfilled even on flat ground, I've only driven the car once prior to doing this at that was home from the seller ~25miles. If that was the only cause of the hose coming off then I should be golden, its not torn and the clip has held it for a short drive I did after removing the excess oil so time will tell.

Quartz likes this.
  4. Quartz

Quartz Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Grey Copen 2007
    That's good. I didn't read the original post properly. If you're certain of the oil/filter change date that should be fine, looking at the colour of the oil only is not always the best indicator of it's condition or how long it's been in the engine.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2021
    Dom likes this.