1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brakes really poor

Discussion in 'Problems, Fixes, Tips...' started by David Berry, Sep 17, 2022.

1. David Berry

David Berry Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Copen 0.7 2002
    Hi, I have a Copen 2002 (Jap import) L880K and the brakes are really poor. I have had the rear shoes replaced (recommended by the garage) but it made no difference.
    The front callipers and discs are in perfect condition (nearly new) but the brakes barely stop the car on a downhill slope. Quite scary...
    When the engine is not running the brake pedal is solid and as soon as the engine starts then the brake pedal goes down quite a lot. Pressing it repeatedly produces a "SHHHSSS" noise from the engine compartment.
    I take this to mean that the master cylinder is working as expected and the DOT 3 brake fluid might be contaminated with air - does this sound like a correct assumption please?

2. GuzziMan

GuzziMan Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Mitsubishi Shogun, 659cc Copen, 350 Z
    Hi David

First try changing all of the brake fluid and if there is still a problem the servo unit is your next step provided you haven’t a leak somewhere in the system.

3. David Berry

Car(s):
    Copen 0.7 2002
    Hi Guzziman, thanks!!!

I was hoping that too. I have it booked in Monday for a full bleed and fluid replacement :)
    Hoping it isn't the servo.

Edit:
    I've also asked for a full oil and filter change - just hoping the young chap at our local garage is up to the job as the oil filter seems to be a real pain to get to - he is more familiar with old 4x4 pickups here in Cyprus.

Cheers,

David

Last edited: Sep 17, 2022
  4. GuzziMan

GuzziMan Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Mitsubishi Shogun, 659cc Copen, 350 Z
    Hi David

Another check is if there is a leak in the vacuum pipe going into the servo. If all is OK, then the servo can be serviced and will probably need on O ring seal. Saves buying a new servo.

As regards the oil change the filter is a Herth Buss J131 6008 68mm wide 50mm high 14 flute otherwise it will not fit up inside the small opening underneath the car. Information regarding this procedure is on line.

Our car is the same so just know what you are up against. Good luck.

5. David Berry

Car(s):
    Copen 0.7 2002
    Hi again, Duly noted and pasted into my servicing guide for future reference - thanks so much for your kind help!
    20 year old car and no rust - I can't believe that but, given, it came from Japan nearly 20 years ago and has been in Cyprus with no salt on the roads in what we call winter I suppose it is normal.
    Best wishes, David

Attached Files:

6. David Berry

Car(s):
    Copen 0.7 2002
    Update - brakes appear to be working perfectly! I'll give it a few days to see if there is a secondary problem with the seal you mentioned :)
    Thanks for your help!