Braided brake lines

Discussion in 'Modifications' started by Number6, Apr 10, 2015.

1. Number6

Number6 Inactive User

Car(s):
    2005 0.7L Copen
    Has anyone changed their lines for HELs, Goodridges, or something else? Opinions?

2. dunf

dunf Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    copen
    Not on the copen, but I did on a previous mini. Also I've done countless braided hoses on bikes and scooters. I usually always make up my own. Just buy 6mm stainless braided hose by the metre then whatever banjo fittings you need. It's easy enough to make up the crimps in a vice. I've even done a few in-situ where the hose runs through a cavity etc. much cheaper this way and tbh you get a better fit to suit how you want to run it.

3. duncan79

duncan79 Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen 2004
    I bought HELs and the nut did not fit. I returned it and they were good about it and sent me new ones. Unfortunately they cut the old end off so it was a bit short and still did not fit the car. At that stage I just cut my loss.
    I would recommend custom ones as aftermarket sellers seem to just be making guesses as to what the car needs.

4. Number6

Number6 Inactive User

Car(s):
    2005 0.7L Copen
    I've had the exact same experience with the HEL. They no longer reply to my emails :-(

I think I'm gonna find a guy local who will make them, unless someone knows of ones that WILL fit.

5. dunf

dunf Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    copen
    Seriously it's easy to do. I'd have a go. If you don't fancy it, tell me what you want and the length and I'll make them and charge you a fortune.... ;)

6. MultiplexMan

MultiplexMan Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    KIA Carnival YP, Copen
    I installed DSport lines. I replaced the lines at the same time as I fitted EBC Green Stuff pads, and two piece vented rotors (alloy bells reduced rotating mass a lot) so I cannot really comment on braking improvement. I only can say that the Copen has no problem stopping now :cool:

I replace rubber lines with braided on almost everything (motorcycles, mountain bikes, earth moving machines...). The only caveat is if you are using old school stainless steel outer braid with no cover. The stainless steel outer braid will saw its way through anything it contacts. Make sure the line touches nothing during normal operation (movement). If it does, secure it with P-clips or something suitable.