1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bought a Copen yesterday..broken already

Discussion in 'Problems, Fixes, Tips...' started by chris1d, Feb 7, 2015.

1. chris1d

chris1d Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Copen Turbo
    Hi everyone. I'm Chris. Yesterday I bought a nice black 53 plate copen. The test drive was fine and I had a good 15 minutes blasting about with no issues. I paid my money and set off on the 280 mile drive home. All was well until I stopped and replaced my stereo and got some lunch. (Thanks for the how to replace stereo!)

For most of my journey the car has been in limp mode with no turbo so you can imagine the M1 was quite a scary place to be. The engine light didn't come on for quite some time but did eventually.

I've dropped it off at my local Daihatsu dealer and I'm hoping its nothing serious. Like I say well was fine and the turbo was definately working as I heard the dump valve making its little noise on gear changes and the shove of power.

Even though it wasn't all working I thoroughly enjoyed my drive home..when I was parked people came over and asked about it and stuff. People were talking to me in traffic..it was great!

Any thoughts?

2. threepot

threepot Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Copen, Hijet, Celica, and Yaris!
    Where are you?

3. chris1d

Car(s):
    Copen Turbo
    I'm near March, Cambridgeshire.

4. chris1d

Car(s):
    Copen Turbo
    Dealers just called...apparently turbo has failed...not sure until they get it off. Don't know what to do :(

5. DaG

DaG Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Copen 1.3
    Did you buy it from a dealer? Is there any warranty?
    Turbo failure is very expensive and there is quite a bit of stuff on here about it. Do a search you might find a few options.
    Did I read your first post right and you stopped on the way home to fit a new stereo?

6. chris1d

Car(s):
    Copen Turbo
    Hiya, I didn't buy it from a dealer but did take it for a good test drive before hand with engine switch on and offs too. It was fine until I stopped for lunch and to fit my new stereo. It was only after that I noticed I couldn't maintain 70 or even 60 on the duel carriageways without dropping down to second..and realised the turbo was not kicking in.

I did wonder if the stereo had anything to do with it but I followed the guide and didn't touch anything else.

I know the turbo was working as the blow off valve was making its noises on gear change. Now there its not and there's no power.

Its at a Daihatsu dealer so I'd like to think they know what's what however the guy said it could be a number of things..turbo failure, wastegate broken etc but without taking it off they wouldn't know. I'm gutted as the car was fine at purchase and within 40 miles its all gone wrong.

7. threepot

Car(s):
    I deal with main dealers weekly, and they prove themselves to be both incompetent and expensive.

What an awesome combination!

Had a couple of copen roof jobs which have previously been at the main stealers, who have the ordacity to bill a customer hundreds and hundreds, and give them a car back with the roof still not working. More fool the mug who pays it :-((

8. chris1d

Car(s):
    Copen Turbo
    Bit of good news, the guy I bought it from has said he will help pay towards the cost of the fix.

Very decent guy. I'm not expecting loads but I am glad he is being so forthcoming.

9. stickypinkyfinger

stickypinkyfinger Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Widearch Daihatsu Copen R
    Race tuned Dinli 450 RS
    Suzuki GSXR600
    If its a new turbo i hope he will help you a LOT as the cheapest i got quoted was £830 and that wasnt even part towards a new copen, that the turbo ONLY. Hope you get it sorted as they are lovely cars when they are right

10. hiramscodd

hiramscodd Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    53 plate black copen
    transit
    Thats really bad news Chris ,hope you can get it sorted.

11. baobab68

baobab68 Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Toyota Echo, Copen 0.7L
    Not to hijack your thread but should I be able to hear a turbo whoosh on my 659CC Copen? I don't think I really drive the car 'hard' enough. It has power but I never hear the turbo cut in and out.

To the OP - I sure hope you can get it sorted quickly and without too much expense mate.

12. chris1d

Car(s):
    Copen Turbo
    Well I've had a quote for a new turbo for £700. The dealer is going to take the turbo off and see what the damage is before I order it as they hope it can be just refurbed saving me £££

13. chris1d

Car(s):
    Copen Turbo
    I'm not sure, certainly the one I have bought there was definitely a whoosh on gear change from dumpvalve but that could have been because the car was during..or because it hasn't got a standard dumpvalve..I don't remember hearing it so obviously on previous copens I've driven.

14. threepot

Car(s):
    You can tell if the turbo is buggered without even taking it off.

Just pull the air inlet pipe and feel the end play of the turbine, check it spins freely, make sure boost hoses are not full of oil. Takes minutes.

15. chris1d

Car(s):
    Copen Turbo
    I'm not a mechanic so I don't know. I'm leaving it to the garage as I trust them to do the right thing. To be fair to them they have made it clear they would rather attempt to repair rather then replace the turbo even though I said I was willing to have it done. They want to save me money..they are not a chain but a small family owned dealer with a good.local reputation. I doubt they have seen many copens though as the locals all bought sirions!

I'm happy with them so far...just want it back! :)

16. chris1d

Car(s):
    Copen Turbo
    New turbo ordered. £702. :-(

17. threepot

Car(s):
    If you are getting a brand new turbo, make sure you get to keep your old one.

The old ones are worth about £50 as exchange units to reconditioning places.

If you ring somewhere like euro car parts, they would offer you a recon turbo for about £320, plus an extra £50, which you get back when you return the old one.

By keeping the old one, you get to acid test the garage, to make sure they are not making you pay twice as much for a plain old recon.

18. Klausanta

Klausanta Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Renault Megane
  19. chris1d

Car(s):
    Copen Turbo
    Yep, the garage is sourcing all the other bits required.

Hopefully have it back next week...

20. chris1d

Car(s):
    Copen Turbo
    Car is all back together. Hopefully collecting tomorrow. Yay!!!