1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Boot/trunk catch...........?

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Bassoon, May 3, 2017.

1. Bassoon

Bassoon Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen 1.3
    Hyundai i30
    Hyundai i40
    Hi everyone.
    I've just bought a Copen 1.3. Unfortunately I have no manual and can't download one here because I must be a member for seven days first.

What is the procedure for opening the boot (I know it sounds elementary!) but my battery is flat (new one coming). Pulling the catch in the center console seems to do nothing - is the catch mechanical or electro=mechanical please?

Thanks Ray

2. welz

welz Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    copen 2003
    for the roof
    electro=mechanical...hydropump and eco for it in boot. Open 2 claps under roof near front windows . handbrake on. Better engine running. Push button.And smile:)
    But check before ...nothing in boot. and plane closed..

Last edited: May 3, 2017
  3. Barry Copen

Barry Copen Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    58 reg. R40 red 1.3 Copen; now gone, I'm afraid.
    11 reg. MX5 2.0 Kendo
    68 reg. BMW 1 Series
    You may be mistaking the roof opening/closing switch with the boot opening button which is at the back of the inside of the centre console. If you press the button, the boot should open as it's only cable operated (I think). There is another switch inside the console which opens the petrol tank flap (unless you have a fancy petrol cap!).

4. welz

welz Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    copen 2003
    you can open the boot too with the
    remote Control just push open 5 sec or more..battery empty nada..

Last edited: May 3, 2017
  5. Bassoon

Bassoon Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen 1.3
    Hyundai i30
    Hyundai i40
    Thanks everyone!
    I suspect waiting for the battery will help - I know it all works because we jumped it before I bought it. It looks like great fun - I've had em all Mazdas, SLKs, Mgs, BMWs, but this looks like the best fun of them all......................... (I even sold my sports bikes........I'm old and decrepit).

6. Salieri

Salieri Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    Used to have a White Copen, but I sold it in 2023
    Its 100% the batterys fault, without power the boot will not open at all.
    I have driven SLKs, BMWs and the newest MX-5 and except for the Mazda (which is quite good) they were not in the same street as the Copen. They were faster yes, but the fun is not the same :d

I hope you will take good care of it, if you do it will serve you for many years to come ;)

7. Vin Petrol

Vin Petrol Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    2004 0.7 Copen
    I believe there's a manual boot release catch hidden under a plastic compartment in the center console, from another thread on here I found this from Neil50:

I think it's for the turbo but boot operation should logically be the same.

I need to know where is the manual release for boot.

Basically, open the centre console and there is a flap in the bottom. Lift this flap up with a screwdriver to reveal a cable and pull it.

Push the rear parcel shelf down to gain access to the mechanism and pull the blue hooks on the left and right-hand side of the car until you hear them click, then push them back in again.

He also added the PDF with diagrams of the process on the thread, apparently it's in the manual but I just used Google instead :p