1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Boot Tool Kit Layout

Discussion in 'Problems, Fixes, Tips...' started by Klausanta, Oct 3, 2012.

1. Klausanta

Klausanta Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Renault Megane
    Hi All

I am compiling a list of the problems that I have found on our Copen since purchasing it recently but there already seems to be many of the same issues that are listed on the forum so although I am to say the least not the greatest mechanic, I can at now have an informed go at sorting some of them out.

For now, could anyone provide me of a picture of how the boot toolkit should be laid out/fitted in the small boot space area at the rear? Ours was missing the tool kit and tyre inflation spray and just had the black compressor unit, wheel jack and two wire things. The compressor unit was sitting in the space between the hydraulic unit and the roof ECU but can move about all over the place which does not seem right to me.

Also on each side of the roof open/close mechanism there is a small square metal part held on with two screws that is spring loaded. On ours one side seems to be missing the spring. Can anyone confirm what these are for and if this will cause any problems?

Many thanks

KS

2. Adam K

Adam K Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Nissan Cube Kaizen
    Hi KS,
    Can you post a picture of bracket with the missing spring?

As for the tool kit, it should contain the two wire handles, a spanner for the wheel nuts & a hooked screwdriver thing that you wind the jack up with. All this goes into a bag. This stores under the jack.

The air compressor should be in a bag with velcro on it. This secures it in between the ECU & Hydraulic pump.

3. Adam K

Adam K Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Nissan Cube Kaizen
  4. Klausanta

Car(s):
    Renault Megane
    Many thanks for your reply/help Adam.

I have now got a tool kit from eBay (wheel brace and jack handle thing) and I have purchased a holts tyreweld kit as well. So it looks like I now have everything except the bag the compressor goes in.

The images in the other post clearly show the part (with the missing spring) I am talking about but I hope I have attached my own image/s below?

Cheers again

KS

Attached Files:

5. Adam K

Adam K Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Nissan Cube Kaizen
    Forgot to say, I had a look in my boot this weekend. I have springs in those plunger things on both sides.

6. trustafox

trustafox Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Yes

Adam, what is the compressor for? is it to inflate the tyre after a puncture? But doesn't the tyre weld can not do that anyway? Car I'm getting doesn't have the compressor (but does have full tool kit).

7. Adam K

Adam K Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Nissan Cube Kaizen
    The original tyre weld that came with the car was like a gunk that just sealed the hole. The Compressor was then used to inflate the car.
    In most cases the original tyre gunk is out of date. I've replaced this with a can of tyre weld. Not used one before, so I don't know if it inflates as it seals.

8. trustafox

Car(s):
    Yes
    So if the tyrewelds work, then the compressor is not needed? although it may be helpful to top the pressure up after using the can?
    The car I'm getting I've told has 2 cans of Holts tyreweld. So I should be OK, at least for the drive home.

Maybe worth getting a compressor be it a copen one or aftermarket as can always use it to top the tyre pressures up periodically.

9. issuefixed

issuefixed Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    yes
    I keep a compressor in all my cars. Top the car tyres, the bikes, balls, balloons, water rockets, etc.

10. trustafox

Car(s):
    Yes
    issuefixed, can you recommend any makes/models that are good? I hear some give up the ghost quite quickly.

I want to be able to pump the tyre up, not blow on it like a hot bag of chips

11. Klausanta

Car(s):
    Renault Megane
    I have now found a diagram of the broken part in my boot (image below).

Part: ‘F’ – Switch, Luggage Lock Closer

There is one each side - it is a plastic bracket holding a spring loaded metal top knob that goes up and down that I think makes/operates a switch fitted above when in certain positions. On our car the spring is missing and someone has pushed a square of cardboard in the hole to limit the amount it can be depressed.

I am now trying to order one although I still do not have the Daihatsu part number yet.

I wonder if this is the reason my roof does not always close properly on one side?

KS

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
  12. Klausanta

Car(s):
    Renault Megane
    Just found this image on an eBay advert.

The boot layout looks much better than mine as the tool kit seems to fit neatly and correctly in the middle and the white polystyrene cover seems to make a good job of protecting the roof ECU.

The only thing that seems to be missing is the inflatable dingy to get across the river of water in my boot!

KS

Attached Files:

13. Klausanta

Car(s):
    Renault Megane
    I have now found the broken roof/boot mechanism part and fitted it.

It was a real pig to get off as someone had tried before and messed up the screw heads probably because the screw threads were originally coated with some form of lock tight.

I am going to list a new question about this part so I have attached some images below so that it is clear exactly what the part is and where it is located.

KS

Attached Files: