1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Boot paint type?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Soc, Aug 28, 2016.

1. Soc

Soc Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen
    Hi

I need to touch up a couple of rust spots on the boot floor but I am not sure the colour or type of paint used. Any idea?

Thanks

2. Salieri

Salieri Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    Used to have a White Copen, but I sold it in 2023
    I think its just primer or overspray from the top coat, nothing special. Since the whole boot is covered with carpet, you can choose any colour you like. I went for grey, its not the same colour but does the job. If you have rust in the boot you might want to look at the same spot from the underside, see where it comes from. There is also a rubber plug under the jack and tools, the edges of that also like to rust...

3. Soc

Soc Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen
    Salieri, your right any colour will do. In my boot it looks like the previous owner tried to spray some paint but messed it up so I am looking to tidy up what they have done. I have come across this product which I will order and use in Grey & White - Eastwood Trunk / Boot Paint Aerosol (340g)

Salieri, how long have you owned your Copen and have you done made any changes to the way it looks & performance?

4. Salieri

Car(s):
    copen.JPG

This is what it looks like at the moment, did quite a lot of things like red brake calipers, sticker bombing on the number plate holders, stainless steel mesh grill, lots of leather applications on the interior, soundproofed doors and new speakers, 3" diameter stainless steel exhaust etc. I am sure I forgot some stuff...
    Edit: I also have a front underbrace (i.e. Tanabe UBD5)

I also had a k&n air intake, but it did not really make the car go fast, it just sounded a lot better. Went back to the original airbox, got tired of it
    I have had it since 2011 and apart from regular service items it was very reliable.

The paint you linked looks like a hammer finish type of coat (Edit: its called spatter finish in the UK apparently) - I think its meant for bare metal boots and flatbeds on trucks...might be a little bit over the top, as you are still covering it with carpet. If you have rust, maybe go over it with some rust sealer + paint 2-in-1 (you can also get that in a spray can for a third of the price)

5. Soc

Soc Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen
    Salieri - Love your car , great colour very rare! (I haven't seen one in the UK - yet). I have the grey metallic which is a nice colour also. I think the only other mod I will do is replace the factory exhaust system with a 3" diameter stainless steel (hopefully have a sporty note). I will only do this when the original one fails otherwise its a waste of money. Saying that, I may do it anyway! Would like to fit a double din stereo with Apple play but they are big bucks.

As for the paint for the boot floor, its not a hammerite type finish per say as it needs sealing with a matt lacquer. I have already ordered the paint so will use it and like you said it will be covered by the carpet. I will treat the rust with some zinc type primer.

I am also hoping to keep the copen for as long as I can as its not my main car. Saying that I really enjoy driving it! It feels like your connected with the road and car unlike some more modern cars.

6. Salieri

Car(s):
    Thank you, black and white are the most uncommon colours here as well. I would only want to own a white one (yellow is OK too in a bind)...had to drive 400km to get mine, as it was the only white with red interior available on the whole market.

Copen is my one and only car, I drive it almost daily and I have to say it is absolutely fit for daily use, 120mph on the autobahn - no problem :D

Zinc primer is a good idea, don't forget to sand it down first, hope it turns out alright.

You can still try and sell the old exhaust before it gives out, get at least some of the investment back...I'm sure somebody would need one sooner or later.

To what extent do sound regulations go in the UK MOT wise? Do you have to have some kind of certificate or can you just bolt on whatever you like and nobody bats an eye? If there are no regulations, I would just do a straight pipe like a friend from the german copen forum:

Kay likes this.
  7. Soc

Soc Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen
    Salieri, do you have more photos of your Copen? I Would like to see them please.

8. Salieri

Car(s):
    Is there something you want to see in particular?

9. Soc

Soc Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen
    The interior, engine bay and the back of the car - exhausts

10. Salieri

Car(s):
    The engine bay looks like any other, I put the original airbox back in.
    These pictures are all I have at the moment
    sdfs.JPG vdfsd.JPG

As soon as I graduate I will make a video of the exhaust for you to hear...I should not even be here...I should write my thesis :D

11. Soc

Soc Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen
    Don't want too keep you away from your studies ! What are you studying to be? Thank god all that is a distant memory for me

12. Salieri

Car(s):
    I'm studying business information systems and have three more days until deadline, the next few days will be very tough. I hope the pictures are sufficient