1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Boot Lid Swap?

Discussion in 'Modifications' started by Vin Petrol, Feb 16, 2017.

1. Vin Petrol

Vin Petrol Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    2004 0.7 Copen
    I noticed a silver Copen breaking with the boot spoiler, guy wants £100 for the boot (as the spoiler is bonded to it) and while I'll want to check it, says it's in good condition.

I'm looking at my boot though and there's a scary amount of wires, actuators and stuff compared to a normal boot, how much work would I be looking at to swap mine with the other?
    I might see what a garage would charge to swap it if it's going to be a total pain.

2. BarnsleyRob

BarnsleyRob Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    2009/59 silver Copen 1298 cc (now gone to a new home)
    I haven't really paid much attention to mine but is it just a case of taking the boot lid off the pram frame (disconnecting the centre brake light) rather than removing the whole assembly with wiring harnesses etc.

I'm going to have to look more closely in the morning now.

* update. Had a look at mine and wiring harness looks like it just clips into place so if you can separate the lid from the frame you should be able to DIY with an assistant to help with lifting and repositioning. The brake light is on a plug but I've no idea how the actual lamp unit comes out. With much swearing I imagine.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
  3. Vin Petrol

Car(s):
    2004 0.7 Copen
    Hehe, well thankfully he's left the brake light fitted and just unplugged it, so that should plug right in, was a helpful guy and reckoned it was a fairly easy job. DAIHATSU COPEN BREAKING. Front wings, Bonnet, Front bumper and headlights sold. | eBay is what's left of the donor copen if anyone else wants to plunder it.

Also...he told me he's also selling an Ultimate Edition with 12k miles for £4500. He said it'd been written off but all it needed was new wings/bumper and airbags, which I'd guess is where the ones from the silver copen went, so it's probably on a Q plate, he hasn't advertised it yet so not sure. If I spot it up I'll throw a link

4. Vin Petrol

Car(s):
    2004 0.7 Copen
    After much delay due to inclement weather, followed by my mum whose garage I stored the new boot in losing her garage keys, I finally got it done :D boot1.JPG boot2.JPG

It really isn't that difficult, it just looked it to me at first. 2 nuts and 2 bolts holding the boot motor on, 2 bolts holding the boot lock on, 4 bolts holding the actual boot lid. Hardest part was getting the little plastic clips that hold the wires in place out.

Adjustment is pretty easy, there's helpful marks at the edges of the brackets to line it up to.

Now...I just need to get rid of the marks where the badges were, have been scrubbing away and tcutting to no avail!