Bonnet Stay Clip

Discussion in 'Problems, Fixes, Tips...' started by Tasman, Oct 8, 2016.

1. Tasman

Tasman Copenworld Member

Hi all, the bonnet stay clip on my wife's copen snapped the other day so I tried to order a new one. I knew that that was going to be ridiculously expensive for what it was and was proved right when the dealer quoted north of £8 but ordered it regardless. Anyway the rub is that they phoned me this morning and said that Daihatsu no longer stock the part even in Japan! Help please!

2. MultiplexMan

MultiplexMan Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    KIA Carnival YP, Copen
    Need to do a search but I'm pretty sure there is an existing Toyota part that does the same job.

There was a post from a member who changed one recently - not sure if here or from one of the Facebook groups...

Tasman likes this.
  3. Neil50

Neil50 Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    2004 Copen, yellow red leather interior
    2006 525d BMW 5 Series Touring MSport
    Audi A2
    I think that the size would be quite standard but msybe the fitting for the bodywork msy be different. Can you measure the bonnet stsy diameter then have a look on fleabay etc to see if there are any with the same size and fitment.

4. Number6

Number6 Inactive User

Car(s):
    2005 0.7L Copen
    I replaced my bonnet stay clip with ones from ebay, not had an issue with them although getting the old one out was a nightmare - lots of tugging with the pliers. PM me your full address and I'll post you one when I'm back from my work trip and find the buggers.

Tasman and Your Majesty like this.
  5. Tasman

Tasman Copenworld Member

Thanks to everyone replying to this, we've had our copen for ten years and never realised what a valuable resource was out there! Number6, thanks in particular, PM on it's way, feel guilty if I don't pick up the postage though

Number6 likes this.
  6. Chrismadeley

Chrismadeley Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Copen Vivid Special Edition
    I have a large stock of cable ties so I tie the bonnet stay to the body frame and replace the cable tie each time. If you can supply a bonnet stay clip I would be interested in one too!

7. Tasman

Tasman Copenworld Member

Fixed today, big bag of clips arrived yesterday, I expect that between me and Number 6 we have enough to supply the community into the next millennium! Drilled out the old one and turned it twice round with pliers and it popped out. Replacement is identical and popped straight in. For the record: TOYOTA holder catch latch CLIPS C81X10.

8. Number6

Number6 Inactive User

Car(s):
    2005 0.7L Copen
    PM me your address - more than happy to post one out, if I can find the damn things in my junk drawer :)

9. Tasman

Tasman Copenworld Member

If you can't find yours Number6 mine are now sat on my desk so could also do same