Bodywork Question

Discussion in 'Problems, Fixes, Tips...' started by bathtowel23, Jun 24, 2010.

1. bathtowel23

bathtowel23 Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen And Honda Civic Type S GT
    Hi ive recently discovered a touch of rust on my copen :-((.

I have contacted my local dealer and problem solved they said my bodywork cover covers this. i was just wondering do wheels count as bodywork as my alloys r bubbling and wondered if daihatsu would replace these to.

thanks for any replys

2. honeyjew

honeyjew Copenworld Member

I remember someone else on this board (or perhaps another) getting their alloys replaced under their warranty, as well as their leather seats which were cracking as well. I'm in the process of getting all of my wheels replaced due to rusting and the roof replaced as well due to the ribbing wire, it is turning out to be a long process though.

3. Coxsie

Coxsie Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Copen + Signum
    Alloy wheel replacement

Hi,

It was me, who had my wheels replaced under warranty. There was only slight corrosion, but they were replaced for new without a quibble.

Good luck :):)

4. fuzzydog

fuzzydog Copenworld Newbie

Hi there, I only had my car about a month ago but on buying if from a non Daihatsu dealer I took it straight over to my local Daihatsu garage for a service and a check up (bearing in mind I got a fair bit of cash knocked of the asking price at the garage selling the car as I had spotted some rust of the wing)

I am now just about to drop my car off for (deep breath!) new wheels, new wheel nuts (slight bit of bubbling on them) 2 new rear pannels and arches and a new front arch.

I think I will be driving more new car than when I bought it and of course all done for free under the warranty - good work Daihatsu!

James

5. Mikamilly

Mikamilly Copenworld Newbie

New copen owner

Hi guys, I have just become the proud owner of a 2004 copen. I had a lt of money off from the dealer as the bodywork needed some work which the dealer has taken care of however I was wondering if I was correct in reading that the copen has an unlimited milage warranty? I find this hard to believe but am curious what it covers and does it apply to second owners. Please excuse my ignorance. Regards

6. sidewaze samm

sidewaze samm Copenworld Newbie

so do they all get bubbly paintwork?

Hi Guys - joined today and my first post on the forum.

I'm about to go looking at some Copens - my wife really fancies one to replace her Mini, or an MX5. Budget should allow a 1.3 model of 2007 vintage.

Question is - just how endemic is this problem with rusting bodywork? Does it just apply to a certain age or build period, or is it going to happen to them all at some time, probably sooner rather than later?

Where should I be looking for signs? Or should we just get the Mazda?

cheers

Last edited: Dec 16, 2010
  7. honeyjew

honeyjew Copenworld Member

I've got a 2008, kept out side, used all year round and washed not quite as often as perhaps as it should be. No rust.

8. Lotuseater

Lotuseater Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    1.3 Copen
    The rust problem would appear to relate to the eariler models, Daihatsu say that they addressed the problem from approx 06. A lot of the problem is down to the great British weather and the fact that the Copen was never designed to hit the UK market!
    Main areas of concern are the rear wings, the whole construction is metal, no plastic inner archers! The body work is undersealed, however, this can wear off, normal day to day usage.
    Best advise would be to check all around the rear panels, inside and out - if there is any evidence of rust then check the Copen's service book - towards the back to the book you will find the section re the 6 year anti-corroison warranty. "Important" the Copen would need to be check once a year by the dealer, book stamped and tear off sections returned to Daihatsu in the UK - if all of this is in order then Daihatsu will address everthing - body work, wheels, the lot! (at no cost up to six years)
    On any other point, do check the front sills down by the door hinges and also look carefully at the front chassis rails in the engine compartment.
    Enjoy!

Rich JJ likes this.