1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blistering on bonnet

Discussion in 'Problems, Fixes, Tips...' started by GABRIELLE ALLEN, May 16, 2017.

1. GABRIELLE ALLEN

GABRIELLE ALLEN Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen (2005/6)
    DSC01837.JPG DSC01836.JPG My Copen is 2005 model. After I purchased it there was a recall to replace the bonnet for some reason. This was done. Now, there is blistering growing over the bonnet. I took it to a body repair workshop and enquired what he thought it was. When I told him about the recall, he smiled and said, 'I reckon what they have done is taken time doing the paint job, left it overnight, allowing moisture to lay on it. Then the following morning they came back to put the final coat on. This then sealed in the moisture which has now come through.' He maintained he'd seen it before with other cars. He reassured me it wouldn't get any worse but it does look awful! Would there be any point in contacting Daihatsu at all for them to repair even though I'm well out of warranty, I do feel it is their fault, if what he says is true. Any ideas would be gratefully received. Thanks all.

2. Salieri

Salieri Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    Used to have a White Copen, but I sold it in 2023
    This is the clear coat peeling off, either too much sun/bad environment (happens often in Australia/southern countries), or the explanation of your dealer is correct. However, its really not nice. When was it recalled? If it has been 10 years since the paint job its tough luck, but you can try and ask, it does not cost anything to ask :D