Bizarre top behavior: Is this normal???

Discussion in 'Problems, Fixes, Tips...' started by Kisobush321, Oct 6, 2023.

Tags:
  1. Kisobush321

Kisobush321 Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    2009 L880k Copen
    Can anyone shed some light as to if this is normal or not. So, when I go to start my car in the morning and put the top down, the trunk opens and windows go down, and then there is this literal 4 seconds of nothing (no sounds) while I continue to press the button, and only after that do the little side windows go down, then the windows, and then the roof begins to go down. However, after the car is started up, if I put the top back up, and then down again, there is not this 4 second pause and the side windows and windows just go down as soon as I press the button, and as soon as the trunk is open the top starts to open.

This behavior is regular, every time since I got the car (l880k), so I was wondering if this is normal. Seems strange to me. At first, I wondered if something was wrong, but then I just kept holding the button and figured out that I just needed to wait a full 4 seconds. It is exactly that amount every time, btw.

2. AFR0N1

AFR0N1 Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen L880K (KMVZW)
    Doesn't seem normal, my Copen doesn't do that.

Is this only when the engine is *not* running? (now thinking about it, I've never operated the roof with the engine not running before, so it could actually be normal under such conditions)

Try check, batt voltage / alternator output, corroded/sticking hinges and window regulators and such.
    At least with the engine running, it should go smoothly and quickly first time. (I'll try with engine off later and see if mine does the same)

3. Kisobush321

Car(s):
    2009 L880k Copen
    Actually, I only put the top down with engine running. Also, new battery and alternator actually just a couple months ago. No issue with hinges sticking. Top goes down in normal speed. There's just this weird pause of 4 seconds before the little side windows decide to go down and the top decides to start moving. Like I said, no noise of motor trying to make anything move. Just weird silence and nothing for 4 seconds every time I just start the car and put the top down, but only the first time I put it down. That's why I'm thinking its odd since I've read all the posts about usual issues.

4. Jules57

Jules57 Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen 1.3. 2007

5. Jules57

Jules57 Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen 1.3. 2007
    My windows do exactly the same!! I thought that was 'normal'. Doesn't bother me, just another little Copen quirk!

6. Kisobush321

Car(s):
    2009 L880k Copen
    Cheers for the info! Appreciate it.