Bigger Turbo for my Copen

Discussion in 'Modifications' started by Copen12345, Feb 24, 2014.

1. Copen12345

Copen12345 Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen
    I am thinking of upgrading my turbo on my Copen but i dont want one that will throw lag at me and one that is going to work on my stock ECU and tips?

2. Adam K

Adam K Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Nissan Cube Kaizen
  3. Number6

Number6 Inactive User

Car(s):
    2005 0.7L Copen
    Do you know if that turbo can be refurbed? I would probably get it, when the factory turbo blows.

4. trustafox

trustafox Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Yes
    A bigger turbo usually means more lag as its heavier so requires more gas energy to get it spooling. Although when it kicks in you'll go whoosh and it will feel like 2 hair-driers have just turned on :D

Could you not just have the boost increased? You'll get more power but not get the lag of a bigger turbo as you are using the same one.

But with Copen turbos blowing their top as often as John McEnroe did, then this is properly one reason they fit a different one. :p

Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
  5. DaG

DaG Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Copen 1.3
    You can not be serious.:D

6. Copen12345

Copen12345 Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen
    Can i put a vf40 on my copen then use an electronic boost controller to adjust the lag of the turbo.... Also putting bigger injectors for more fuel

Would it be possible? If a vf40 isnt possible what about a td04

7. Crystal copen

Crystal copen Copenworld Member

Who's going to remap it for you? I've looked but no joy here in the uk:-((

You can't really stick a bigger turbo on there without running a map to suit, just asking for trouble imo....might be ok for a while but will more than likely damage something.

Different injectors will also require a remap (Ill be honest and I'm not 100% on these cars as I'm more used to Saabs! but 99% the time you have to remap for different injectors as the ECU won't know what's going on and your fuelling will be all over the place) if your lucky it'll just run rich, but more than likely run lean, engine will knock its tits off then go bang. ££££ Is there any knock protection with these ECU's? With mine if the ECU thinks something's up, it switches to the knock map & reduces the power/boost to save the engine from damage.

Also have to think about the cooling side as the bigger turbo might be too much for the standard intercooler so it'll get heat soaked pretty quickly (done this myself, its not always the case but it usually makes sense to fit a lager IC when fitting a larger turbo) Again you can't go too big on the IC as it will create more turbo lag. I don't think you can fit a big one there anyway but just be aware of that.

TD04- there's loads of different variants with different CHRA's, different compressor housings and different exhaust housings. Rule of thumb is the larger the a/r of exhaust housing the more power it makes but also adds more turbo lag. Compressor housings a/r isn't as crucial, you notice more with the hot side.

Go too big a turbo and you run the risk of making the car slower than it is now (again been there!) I fitted a gt3076r to the last car and below 80 it was slower than the old turbo (gt28rs) above a ton and it went like the millennium falcon though :D So fantastic performance above 80/90 to jail speeds, everyday use was either very laggy, and had to stay in 2nd gear below 60 more....but then it was too quick! So expensive mistake learned there!

Also with a different turbo you have to consider how it'll bolt on. The only real bolt on/off upgrades tend to be a hybrid turbo where they keep the compressor/exhaust housings and just fit different wheels and machine the insides to suit. TD04's come with different exhaust flanges, most popular are t25 flanged and I think some are t3 (I've no idea what the Copen's is?) Also might be a tad too big for a 659cc engine? What's the turbo of choice in Japan?

Electronic Boost Controllers & MBC's...I don't like these :mad: Much better off getting the car remapped and do it properly (just nothing available in the uk!!)

All I'd do or some extra oomph is:

Fit a larger free flowing downpipe (will 3" fit in there?)
    Fit a sports exhaust if you want more noise (but it won't make any noticeable increase in bhp)
    Either de-cat or fit a race/sports cat (again I've had no major power increases doing this on any of my cars!)
    Fit a larger IC (don't go too big)
    Better intake if you want more induction noise (most induction kits tend to give a reduction in power....but sound better!)

Fit better brake discs (I'd avoid drilled discs as they can crack, good solid vented discs work well....can you get plain Brembo's for these?)
    Better pads (will EBC Yellow Stuff R pads fit?)
    Possibly change the brake lines to braided ones, HEL are good as are Goodridge)
    Use good brake fluid (I like RBF600 fluid as it's got a high boiling point, but there's more out there.)

Maybe look at uprated suspension (I always do the brakes & suspension before any power mods) pointless making it quicker if you can't stop or make it around the bend ;)

So basically! I'd sort the brakes & handling first the see how you feel, you'll be able to corner faster and brake later = quicker car

HTH Dave

Edit! Almost forgot the most important bit! Good tyres!

We've got Minilites on our Copen so pretty much stuck with Bridgestone (RE040 or RE050 I think?) we could go a little bit higher/lower profile and open up the tyre choices but it'll mess the speedo up.

I've tried loads of different performance tyres out and by a long mile the best I've had are Kumho V70A's. These were leagues ahead of anything else I've had, the cars just shy of 430ft/lbs and during the summer the wheels didn't spin once no matter how hard I drove it! Never had anything like them. Simply awesome tyres but check the load rating as they tend to be low and not suitable for most cars...

I've replaced these with Uniroyal Rainsport 3 and these are incredible in the wet and very good in the dry. I'd get these again no problem, plus they're great value!

Sorry for the long post and if I've bored anyone! But I love tuning! :D

Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
    ronalddoes and iamkkool like this.
  8. copencat

copencat Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    hopefully soon a new grey copen!
    not my kind of thing - tuning, but your post was informitive and I managed to get the jist of it.

I am interested in your talk of tyres- I thought for 165/50/15 you can only get 4 types of tyre?

9. Crystal copen

Crystal copen Copenworld Member

I'll have to check the exact tyre size but the only one we could find in that size was Bridgestone, looked everywhere and tried a few different tyre places, 99% sure it was RE040