1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Battery probs

Discussion in 'Problems, Fixes, Tips...' started by TinyTT, Mar 28, 2011.

1. TinyTT

TinyTT Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    59 Copen 1.3
    Hi everyone,

Had my Copen for 18 months now and it's been great! :D

However, in the last 3 weeks or so the electrics have been giving me a lot of trouble. It started out with the courtesy light not coming on when I opened the driver's door (it works from the passenger side). Then a couple of days later the 'lights-on beeper' stopped working (again only on the driver's side). This caused the battery to go flat after 5 hours as I hadn't noticed.

In the last week the battery isn't holding its charge (or something is draining it). I've jump started it, and gone out for a drive for an hour. When I get back home and leave it for an hour the battery is virtually dead, and I have to jump start it again. This means I can't go anywhere as it's flat within an hour of switching it off :(

Anyone got any ideas, or had this problem themselves? I've got it booked in to the garage, but they can't see it until 14th April!

Many thanks,

TinyTT

2. Adam K

Adam K Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Nissan Cube Kaizen
    How old is the car?
    Do you access to a multimeter?
    If so you could simply check if the alternator is working.

My guess would be that your battery is shot. It now won't hold it's charge.
    I seem to remember reading that small electrical gremlins were early signs of a duff battery.
    Leaving the lights on finished off an already weak battery.
    Did the roof operate okay?

Had you recently fitted a new stereo or any other electrical addition?

Last edited: Mar 28, 2011
  3. machinehead

machinehead Copenworld Pioneer

My guess is the battery is at the end of its life.

A few things to check. Run the engine and quickly switch on heated seats, window heater, lights all at once. If the engine slows a bit then the alternator is probably working.

If you can get a multi meter check the battery voltage. It doesn't tell you everything about a batterys health but is an indication. See link for voltages.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lead–acid_battery

You could also charge the battery and measure the voltage droop while cranking the engine. It should not drop below about 10V to 10.5V. If it goes lower it's dead.

Check that the electrolyte level is correct. If not, top up with distilled water. (Melt ice cubes if you have nothing else)

After all this if you need a new battery they are about £40 online. Make sure you buy the same capacity as the old one.

Hope this helps. Let us know how it goes.

If it's any consolation, I bought a new battery last month.

M.

4. TinyTT

TinyTT Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    59 Copen 1.3
    Hi,

AdamK

Car is only 18months old - bought it from new.
    Everything operates OK when the car is running - roof, seats, lights, heaters etc.

MachineHead
    Tonight I'll try what you suggested and you let you know how I get on.

18 months for a battery doesn't sound much - I'd have though it would last at least 3 years!

Thanks for your help so far!

5. machinehead

If a battery is repeatedly run until flat it could shorten the life to 18 months easily. That sometimes means that cars like Copens, which sit often unused for weeks at a time, eat batteries in no time.

My campervan was built in 2002. I bought it in 2004 and I still have the two original batteries in use. I take care of them though and never run them to flat. I will buy new ones this summer just to be safe, I think expecting 10 years from a battery is pushing it too far.:)

My Copen battery lasted 5 years but I killed it by neglect during last winter. My own fault.

M.

6. TinyTT

TinyTT Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    59 Copen 1.3
    Turns out it was the battery.

Took it to my dealier in Coventry and he swapped it under warranty - back on the road again just in time for the good weather! :D

R

7. Adam K

Adam K Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Nissan Cube Kaizen
    Glad you got it sorted & for free to. Bargin.

8. FullMetalCopen

FullMetalCopen Copenworld Member

Battery don't really last with 660 Copens, due to engine bay heat! And in a tropical climate like I'm in now. Battery last one year the most.

9. Adam K

Adam K Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Nissan Cube Kaizen
    Have you seen on the Singapore Copen club, the threads about changing the stat switch so the fan kicks in earlier. Keeping things cooler. Plus heat protection insulation to go around the battery.

10. dwayner

dwayner Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    A 2005 copen and a
    Camry Sportivo
    dwayner

Yep, sounds like battery for sure -
    had a similar experience, and once battery was changed it was fine
    it happened in really cold weather - around 7C and since the battery is so small it couldnt take it. and since replaceing hasnt been a problem since.
    The battery seems expensive though, and when the original was replaced, i was told by diahatsu dealer back then, that the wrong size was originally put in it!!

11. machinehead

Battery efficiency drops massively in cold temperatures.

If you have a problem starting your car, try taking the battery indoors and warming it up. It makes a huge difference.

M.

12. monkey

monkey Copenworld Newbie

I've had this exact problem, battery seems to be dead after leaving the car parked for 2-3 days. Is it possible to jump start the car and leave it idling to charge the battery up again?

13. Greg

Greg Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Copen and Peugeot 407
  14. Greg

Greg Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Copen and Peugeot 407
    Bosch battery

The correct code is CRAZY25 :D
    Ignore the previous one. Sorry for the error.

15. FullMetalCopen

The heat insulation material is very flammable and was removed by that guy. :D

16. Adam K

Adam K Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Nissan Cube Kaizen
    The idea was good, just needed implementing with the correct material.

17. FullMetalCopen

I have the D-sport low temp thermostat, supposingly the fan should kick in earlier at 68 degrees celsius instead of the usual 89 degrees celsius.

Heat protection insulation must be of non-flammable material.

And I'm from Singapore. :D

18. FullMetalCopen

At stock standard Copen are using 35aH batteries. However 38aH battery do fit the stock battery bracket.

19. Adnan

Adnan Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Copen
    Battery Charger

Hello all,

My copen has been sitting in the garage for last 4 weeks and the batters is almost dead. I won't be using it very much in the future either.

I am thinking to invest in a car battery charger. Do you think 12v 4Amp battery charger will be suitable for my copen 660 battery ?

Do I have to remove the battery from the car to charge it or can I just attach the charger leads on top of the battery and charge it ?

Thanks

20. dwayner

dwayner Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    A 2005 copen and a
    Camry Sportivo
    dwayner

had a battery problem last night, so in 10 years, this is now my third battery
    so each one lasted about 5 years. I think the only reason i havent needed to replace it as often as some here, is that i use it a lot. It doesnt sit for days in garages, since it doesnt get cold enough in australia to do that. But i went overseas once for 6 weeks, and the Copen was left out in the drive as per normal. Came back home and it started first turn of the key. So it must be the cold that kills batteries not heat, as this was over summer - when it was an average of 32C while i was away.