battery probs

Discussion in 'Problems, Fixes, Tips...' started by lammy, Dec 20, 2010.

1. lammy

lammy Copenworld Newbie

help , my battery keeps going flat when car is not used for a few days (worse in this cold weather) new battery fitted , alternator checks out ok ,does anyone out there have any experiance of this or any other ideas what the problem could be ???

2. Rex

Rex Copenworld Pioneer

Car(s):
    Copen
    The way I would do it is to connect an ammeter in series with one battery lead to see what current is being drawn (with the ignition key removed). I would think less than about 10mA is okay. If the current is above this, start taking out the fuses to try and see which circuit is taking the current. Hopefully this will give you a clue what is going on.

The voltage across the battery when the engine is running should be about 14.5V

Hope this helps.
    Rex.

3. Michaela

Michaela Copenworld Newbie

Battery Problems.

Hi Lammy.

I was have similar problems, I Trickle Charged the Battery overnight a couple of Weeks go and it appears to have cured the problem.

Michaela.

4. lammy

lammy Copenworld Newbie

hello Rex , pulling about 30mA , too cold at the moment to start pulling fuses but have disconnected the radio/clock to see if this cures it, thanks for the tip.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2010
  5. lammy

lammy Copenworld Newbie

have trickle charged the bettery , also fitted new battery but problem still persisted , disconnected clock/radio for now to see if that helps.

6. lammy

lammy Copenworld Newbie

I have noticed that the digital clock was illuminated all the time even with the key out , now I have disconnected the radio, the clock only comes on with the key in. Is this normal ?

7. Lotuseater

Lotuseater Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    1.3 Copen
    Hi,
    Have a 57 plate and my experience is that with the key out everything goes off, Clock, Radio, the lot apart from the interior light. (subject to it being switched on)
    Would suggest that the problem is linked to the radio and how it has been wired in? Is it a Retro fit and Dealer fit?

Good luck.

8. Rex

Rex Copenworld Pioneer

Car(s):
    Copen
    Hum...I agree with lotuseater,
    The clock should only be on with the key turned. The 'standard' green clock is not LED as you may think. [I found out some time ago, when I had the idea of changing the green LEDs to red LEDs to match the cars interior. When I opened the clock up, I found a vacuum display not LEDs]

So if by disconnecting the radio the clock goes off, it sounds like a radio wiring problem.

Rex.

9. lammy

lammy Copenworld Newbie

thanks for the info folks , have left the radio (factory fit) disconnected for now , will leave car for a few days and see what happens.