1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Back-up cam

Discussion in 'Modifications' started by Frettchebman, Apr 7, 2020.

1. Frettchebman

Frettchebman Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Copen and Berlingo
    A two phase question i am putting a back-up cam in my Coop I have laid the cable to the boot but need to connect it to the reverse light and ground at the back,
    Part one,
    How the hell do you get to the bulbs on the reverse light ??
    Part two,
    Is one/does one of these cables come from the light? see Photo please.

Many thanks in advance

Attached Files:

2. BarnsleyRob

BarnsleyRob Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    2009/59 silver Copen 1298 cc (now gone to a new home)
    Can’t help I’m afraid but why install a backup cam ? The back of the car is only about 10 inches behind your head !

3. Frettchebman

Frettchebman Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Copen and Berlingo
    BarnsleyRob because it came with it and I would like to, but thanks for the time you took to reply-

4. MartynG

MartynG Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Copen
    Have you looked at the resources section it gives you wiring diagrams that could be of help.

5. BarnsleyRob

BarnsleyRob Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    2009/59 silver Copen 1298 cc (now gone to a new home)
    I guess a quick way would be to turn the ignition on, stick it in reverse and use a multimeter to find which wire energizes. Is it a wireless connection between the camera and your screen/head unit ? If it isn’t, maybe tap in to the reversing light fuse since you’ll have to run the signal cable through the cabin anyway.

Edit:

Just checked and I think the fuse is shared with the indicators. Based on your picture, I would think the thicker white cable is brakes, red is fog light, and the remaining 3 are indicators and reverse. So they’re the 3 I would probe first. If you don’t have a meter, but have a spare bulb just solder a thin stiff wire to the bulb and gently put one wire into the plastic connector and one onto a handy bolt in the boot and it should light up (assuming ignition on and in reverse).

Last edited: Apr 15, 2020
    Funksterhardtop likes this.
  6. NOMAD

NOMAD Copenworld Newbie

Hi, I have just installed a reversing camera on my coop its the green/white wire you need to tap into in the bunch of cables in your picture.

Okibearded1 and adatara like this.