1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

As Soon As I Can!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Car Mad Lad, Mar 6, 2016.

1. Car Mad Lad

Car Mad Lad Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    2012 Toyota Aygo
    Afternoon all!

You're all probably out in your Copens with the roofs down and heated seats on at the moment, which I can't blame you for ;) If I had one right now I'd be out for a Sunday drive!

Anyway, my afternoon is spent watching my Auto Trader and eBay advert to see if there's anymore views on my 2012 Toyota Aygo I'm trying to sell. Bought it just before Christmas after having had a Mk1 Mazda MX5 for 18 months which was absolutely pristine, but for some reason I thought I needed something practical and fuel efficient so I ended up with an Aygo, which I can't fault, but it just isn't for me, having had two rag tops, I need another!

While I wait for my car to sell I've been through every advert I could find, through the thorough buyers guide on this website and been driving a Dark Green Mica one on Gran Turismo round the Nurburgring after making it have 150bhp.

I can't help but notice that a lot if not all of them only have partial history to them. Would this be a huge issue on the 1.3 models? I've been looking at that engine as I do about 10,000 miles a year and just means I won't need to be getting the oil changed every two minutes and I'd be forever worrying about the turbo going. Shame as I'd love a green or blue one as with some wax on they would come up a treat! The prices also seem to be a bit all over the place as well, with some 660cc models being as much as 1.3s! Budgeting about £4,000.

Anywho, it'd be nice to hear from some people who possibly use their Copen as their only and day to day car to see what I'll be in for! Driving me mad as the one I test drove last weekend which got me to slap my car on Auto Trader, sold yesterday! Oh well, win some lose some eh?

2. sunlover

sunlover Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Copen
    Hi I drove my previous copen 660 every day for a couple of years, not once did it let me down, used to only do about 30 miles a day though. I would try and get a good history on it, the 2 I had were serviced when they should be sure that would have made all the difference. Ive just reserved one yesterday hope it wasnt the one you were looking at, just leaving it with the until they do a repair on some stone chips.

3. Car Mad Lad

Car(s):
    2012 Toyota Aygo
    If I could find a 660cc with good history and at a good price or a balance of some form of warranty then I'd probably go for one! Just seems to be they're all miles away and annoyingly I can't do much until my car is shifted. Haha nooo, the one I was looking at was a 2008 in Silver 1.3. That one had good history but did need some tidying up, air con wasn't working which could be a big or small issue and had a distorted alloy. Just love how it gave the MX5 thrills with lower tax and better MPG! That and I like my quirky cars anyway!

4. ClareL

ClareL Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    1.3 2008 Copen
    I use my 1.3 every day and it is very reliable. I would try and find one with a full service history if you can but the 1.3 is less of a worry as it is basically a Toyota Yaris engine.

Good luck selling your Aygo - you won't regret it :cool::D:cool:

5. Car Mad Lad

Car(s):
    2012 Toyota Aygo
    Thanks Clare! Unfortunately there's thousands of Aygos out there, let alone Citroen C1s and Peugeot 107s for sale so it might take a while to get the money I want for it! Got a couple of watchers on eBay which I just wish I could message privately and ask what are they waiting for :p Daft part is that WBAC has almost matched what I'm asking but I could do with the extra few hundred on top. It's well under what anyone else is asking!

That was my thinking that a 1.3 wouldn't be as painful with partial history, as long as I got the car for a good price! There is a dealer with a few Copens with excellent history, down south from me, where I'm going on a training course next week so sold or not I'll be paying them a visit.

In terms of modifications and parts, what are Copens like, is there plenty to spend every penny I own on? ;)

6. ClareL

ClareL Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    1.3 2008 Copen
    Definitely :blush: you will get lots of ideas for modifications on here and on eBay! There are lots of cosmetic mods as well as performance ones. Unfortunately a lot of things need to be imported from Japan but it is all part of the fun.

Have a look at these threads to start you off :rofl::rofl::rofl:

https://www.copenworld.com/community/threads/copen-kenney-my-copen.561/

https://www.copenworld.com/community/threads/susperspats-copens-mods.2520/

7. Car Mad Lad

Car(s):
    2012 Toyota Aygo
    Good, I'd hate to just be driving a car. Out of all five I've owned every single one has been modified, even my Aygo! Looks like I'll have plenty of 'tidying up' jobs which are the kind I prefer to get whichever Copen I chose to concours standard ;)

In regards to parts coming from Japan, where do you guys order them in from? eBay? Or some other site, as I'll be honest, that was the other worry with Daihatsu not being in the UK no more. As long as the car runs day to day I'm happy, as if all goes to plan I'll be doing mobile valeting from it!

8. Your Majesty

Your Majesty Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Copen, no other car.
    I use mine daily and cover about 10000 miles per year. My OH also has a Copen and does a similar mileage. We have no other cars. Our Copens are both 1.3.
    Engine problems - none so far, it's as reliable as any other car I've had. The tyres are small and the hard ride mean they need changing more often the my previous car. The aircon and heated seats make it good for winter driving. Plenty of room in the boot for the weekly shop and big enough to hold an A1 art portfolio.The roof rattles a bit but search this site and you'll find 3 ways of adjusting to help lessen the noise. The 1.3 is basically a Toyota derivative and can be serviced by any competent garage.

It handles fab, looks fab and I wouldn't want to be without it now.
    If you can fit in it, can cope with the hard ride, and like the look, then go for it. :cool:

9. Car Mad Lad

Car(s):
    2012 Toyota Aygo
    They do sound pretty liveable, I mean I daily drove a 20 year old MX5 doing 18,000 a year so a younger car doing less shouldn't be a problem! What are the rest of parts like to get hold of, things like suspension, wheel bearings, etc.? As the cars I'm looking at are all private dealers and I'll be getting it serviced at a good friend who did all the work on my MX5, hence why she ran so well haha.

I'm hoping my Aygo can sell soon, seem to pick my timing as it's just gone past 1st of March! Private dealers are offering £3-3,500, the latter being more reasonable but I'm not asking for much more than that, just that I'm no doubt going to need to budget for tyres as trade cars usually need something doing, hence why they're trade cars!