1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are these symptoms normal

Discussion in 'Problems, Fixes, Tips...' started by BarnsleyRob, Jun 29, 2017.

1. BarnsleyRob

BarnsleyRob Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    2009/59 silver Copen 1298 cc (now gone to a new home)
    I noticed a momentary squeal when I opened the roof. It only lasted a second and stopped. This morning, it occurred again when I started the car so I'm just wondering if it was damp on the fan belt or if it's likely to need adjusting.

Also, on the subject of cold starts, it was around 10C this afternoon and tipping it down when I started up and I noticed what I assume to be white condensation/steam coming from the exhaust. When I looked at the CCTV, the steam got thicker a couple of seconds after the car started so I'm assuming it was just the mixture running richer on the automatic choke (well injectors or whatever).

2. stickypinkyfinger

stickypinkyfinger Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Widearch Daihatsu Copen R
    Race tuned Dinli 450 RS
    Suzuki GSXR600
    I wouldn't know much about the roof as im not going to bother ever using it. As long as it goes up and down, that's good enough for me. Was originally thinking of welding mine together.

Wouldn't worry about the smoke as mine does it yet my engine is sound, turbo is brand new, gasket is solid, oil and coolant is fresh. Only thing with mine is there is a gargling that happens from the centre box due to vapour being in the system due to it being stored in the garage. Probably got a little condensation in there.

First of all I though F*** sake, i'm now going to have to strip my engine but soon as I heard the gargling knew the smoke wasn't bad.
    I'm building a straight through exhaust with 2, 3.5 inch tail pipes at the back so will get rid of the horrible centre section that allows water to sit in it.

3. BarnsleyRob

Car(s):
    I had a good look over it again and it's only exhaust condensation as I could see it pool in the finisher pipes. A 30 minute run and no sign at all despite a few very short runs afterwards (Morrisons car park to Morrisons petrol station being one).

The bad news is that the squeal looks like the alternator. I started it up this morning with the bonnet open and there was a short but definite metallic squeal that sounded like a bearing. It lasted no more than a second and I didn't have time to precisely locate it other than towards the back of the engine, but it definitely wasn't a belt.

A/C was off, car was started in neutral from outside so ruling out the clutch, and I'm guessing that if it was an engine bearing, something much more rumble would be occurring. I've got the number of a mobile mechanic as it only happens when it's cold.

Time to google Copen +alternator I guess

4. Salieri

Salieri Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    Used to have a White Copen, but I sold it in 2023
    Denso DAN977 should be the original replacement for the alternator.
    I would take the belt off and spin every pulley, look for irregularities first.
    Changing an alternator quite complicated I believe, as its way down in the engine bay

5. BarnsleyRob

Car(s):
    @Salieri
    I would do as you suggest but the fault is so transient and access to the belt and pulleys difficult (I read one of your earlier posts when @princess had belt problems) that I'm happy to let a mobile mechanic sort it out.

Realistically, what do you reckon the most likely suspect is ? Would the crankshaft even be in the running as a suspect ?

I've found the alternator at a reasonable price for a new unit (cheaper than recon).

6. Salieri

Car(s):
    Without hearing the noise its hard to say, but I'd reckon its the belt or one of the pulleys (bearings)

7. BarnsleyRob

Car(s):
    Bloody thing didn't do it this morning when I set up the iPhone to record it ! I'll post a link to the recording of its familiar sweet startup routine when I get home.

As long as it's not the main pulley on the crankshaft, I can live with replacing the ancillaries.

8. BarnsleyRob

Car(s):
  9. Salieri

Car(s):
    Yeeesh, 300mb Video for less than 2 minutes :D

Sounds normal to me...
    But your brake fluid looks brown and low, or is it the reservoir that makes it look that way? Should be light yellow
    I'd take off the belt (tensioner can be accessed through the right front wheel arch) and look for strange noises/movement. Its a shot in the dark, but you have to rule out the pulleys first

10. jez77

jez77 Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    2003 Daihatsu Copen
    2000 Toyota RAV4
    If it's only a momentary squeal I wouldn't worry about it. Most likely the belt a little loose or some oil got on it.
    If it start happening more often try tightening or replacing the belt before doing anything major.

11. BarnsleyRob

Car(s):
    I think it's the reservoir as I had it all changed as soon as I took ownership. Looks ok with the lid off.
    I've got a mobile mechanic coming out next week so I'll happily pay him to scrape his knuckles - I'm getting too old for that malarkey.

@jez77 It's definitely not the belt - you should have heard it when I had the bonnet open last week. Happily though, it hasn't done it again.