Anti-Squeak Mods

Discussion in 'Modifications' started by trustafox, Dec 30, 2012.

1. trustafox

trustafox Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Yes
    Following on from Adam K's parcel shelf anti-squeak mods, I have done some myself today. Hopefully an advancement on Adam's but I give initial credit to him.

I purchased a 1 metre x 5 cm strip of the fluffy side of velcro from eBay for about £2. I also got some small dots like Adam used but as yet not used these as the wide strip worked well.

The small piece was ready for insertion. I folded back the cover paper, cut some off and then in half and made the 2 side wings to help pull it in place and reduce the amount of sticky surface likely to touch the board so it was easier to put in place. I need the help of a beautiful assistant......my dad!....to bend the board away from the metal strip to expose a gap to slide the velcro in to.

[​IMG]

As you can now see below the small strip is in place under the end of the metal strip. The Velcro width is just right too, that was luck not planned! Note: the fluffy side is to the metal strip.

[​IMG]

I then removed the white backing as below and pressed it down. The side wings held in place very well to allow me to slide it in with a reasonable amount of force to over come any catching of the sticky side on the board. Tip: pull upwards slightly, towards the metal strip to reduce the sticky side from catching before its in place.

[​IMG]

I then did some more tapping on the parcel shelf to find if there were any more noises. There was but less than the ends. I'll attach some short video clips of this in the next message. I did go over board (no pun intended) and put Velcro almost every place there was a potential noise making area as you can see below of the finished product. But once I sorted the procedure and got the knack, it was quick and easy. Although, if you do it on you own, expect it to be very fiddly and difficult trying to expose a gap and sliding the Velcro in at the same time. I didn't put any where the brackets go, mainly because the crimping to the metal strip prevents it from be as flexible as the flat sections between the rivets.

[​IMG]

Like Adam, I then added some Velcro to the brackets and you can just seem some on the small tab of the rear window which the back of the parcel shelf sits on. Although, I think this may not make any difference because the shelf actually sits on the wrapped round felt here. But I did anyway to be more like the Worcester Wonder!

Note: I had to cut the corner off the Velcro square where the hole was to make an L shape (no photo). Even though I had stabbed the scissors through it, I found it just too hard to push the clips back in with reduced aperture size. I could then clip the shelf back in place.

[​IMG]

I also plan to do some more anti-squeak mods so I'll add more photos to this thread when I've done it. I need to get some materials first. This will also include some sound insulation as the gap between panels acts as an echo chamber.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2012
  2. trustafox

Car(s):
    Yes
    Here are 3 short video clips as promised. The first was when I had done only one end, so the vibrating noise you hear would potentially be twice that if both ends of the metal strip happen to clatter.

http://s1056.beta.photobucket.com/u...ideo-2012-12-30-14-36-31_zps3877dd38.mp4.html

This one is after both ends were done. Note you can't here that metallic clatter. The noise is more my fingers hitting it which I did hit harder this time hoping for a clear improvement. I think the small tiled room extenuates the noise.

http://s1056.beta.photobucket.com/u...ideo-2012-12-30-14-52-22_zpsa658d2af.mp4.html

This is when all pieces were in place, see photo in original post. I did various other tapping when just the ends were done and that highlighted noise coming from the movement of the inter-rivet sections slapping the board.

http://s1056.beta.photobucket.com/u...ideo-2012-12-30-14-52-22_zpsa658d2af.mp4.html

All this may be excessive to reduce noise/vibrations as I hit the shelf harder than it would undergo while in the car and so would possibly not get all these vibrations, but I was enjoying do it!

Last edited: Dec 30, 2012
  3. hosehboh

hosehboh Copenworld Newbie

nice work there!

I was wondering where the squeaky noises were coming from, now you have showed the light to it.

P.S. - Didn't see Adam K's thread on it though.

4. trustafox

Car(s):
    Yes
    This won't be all the squeaks, some are from the plastic panels which I will be addressing next.

Later on I went to look in the boot and craned over to look under the parcel shelf and noticed it doesn't actually sit on the protruding bits below the rear window. So anti-squeak mods not needs there!

5. Adam K

Adam K Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Nissan Cube Kaizen
    Nice work Trustafox.

:D