1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another Request

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by BarnsleyRob, Feb 3, 2017.

1. BarnsleyRob

BarnsleyRob Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    2009/59 silver Copen 1298 cc (now gone to a new home)
    sorry to be a further pain but does anyone have a direct link to the 1300cc owner manual. I'm too new on here to access the resources and it would help if I could find the dipstick, oil filter, and other service items. I suspect the traders will only do a basic oil change.

2. Tasman

Tasman Copenworld Member

We've got a 660 so can't answer your 1.3 questions I'm afraid. Standard respray costs are always about £80 a panel but there can be a slight mis-match with silver. The only place to check under the carpet really is in the boot, retract the blind (anti crush stuff in the boot when you forget!) and you'll find that the carpet is supported by a piece of wood? I think, under that is the inflation kit, jack etc. Check for rust, water can collect here. The other really bad place which is hard to check is the rear panel which is obscured by the bumper. I have, I confess, never tried to see it without either the number plate off (there are holes behind) or with the bumper off, maybe in your back with a torch? See my post one week in out of three which shows repair and full respray pics, problem areas are obvious, hope this helps a bit

3. BarnsleyRob

Car(s):
    @Tasman
    Thanks for the advice. I managed to lift the boot carpet as there was a giveaway plastic bag stuffed right at the back. It looked like water had got in via the number plate holes and was only Light rust in the boot. Your refurb post was enlightening. Where did you take it for the work to be done ? If I can get mine at a decent price I may run it through summer and get a full refurb in autumn. At 65k miles I reckon it'd be good for another 8 years (looking at a 58/59 plate).

4. Tasman

Tasman Copenworld Member

Hi Rob, I've been reading your various posts! Do p
    Look out for corrosion on the rear chassis member as shown in my post, that could have been terminal for ours, also the rear panel holds the bumper brackets and as such needs to be structurally sound to pass MOT. We had our work done at Autobodycraft in Stokesley but I'm sure that you will have similar setups nearer you. Good luck today!

5. BarnsleyRob

Car(s):
    Stokesely keeps cropping up ! I was meant to look at one today but cancelled when there appeared to be a gap in the service and MOT history. I suspect that the original owner probably SORNed it after acquiring something else as the HPI history was all fine. Anyway, the A19 was FUBAR as usual so I probably did the right thing. Shamee though as the seller waas incredibly helpful.

6. BarnsleyRob

Car(s):
    Do you folks all use genuine Daihatsu OEM stuff for servicing and repairs or just whatever is available ? While I've been waiting to collect my car I've been mooching around the interweb and it seems like there are plenty of bits such as filters, brake disks, pads, track rods etc. but very few OEM.

7. Salieri

Salieri Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    Used to have a White Copen, but I sold it in 2023
    I only use Daihatsu OEM if I cannot get anything else.
    For Filters and such, I always go for 3rd party manufacturers (Mann+Hummel, Herth&Buss Jakoparts, ATE etc.).
    Sparkplugs have to be Denso or NGK.
    Its just a bit cheaper and as good as the original.

8. ronalddoes

ronalddoes Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    2004 Copen 659 cc, 2009 Sirion 2 1000cc, 2010 Subaru Justy 1000cc
    Mind you, Daihatsu is not a filter (or belt, spark plug, brake disc) manufacturer.
    Of course their name on the box implies that products meet their stringent quality requirements, but a respectable manufacturer like Mann+Hummel, NGK is going to be just as good.

I've posted my maintenance shopping list over here.

9. Salieri

Salieri Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    Used to have a White Copen, but I sold it in 2023
    Of course Daihatsu does not manufacture most of their products themself, but everything you can buy here is probably 3rd party anyway.

For example: Original air filter is made by Denso, but you cannot buy original Denso in Europe, you have to choose from Jakoparts, Japanparts or Blueprint on the open market. The dealer however can get you a Denso filter with Daihatsu branding, which is like 30 Euro compared to a 7 Euro Blueprint :D

10. BarnsleyRob

Car(s):
    Thanks to everyone for your advice. Great to be involved in the community.