Another boot / roof issue

Discussion in 'Problems, Fixes, Tips...' started by Areki, Jul 18, 2022.

1. Areki

Areki Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Copen
    Hello Everyone,
    I have just bought a copen first generation (L880K) here in Japan at a reasonable price with 50,000km.
    When I bought it, I knew the roof stopped working recently.

Currently, the status is as follow:
    - Roof is closed
    - No alarm when driving
    - The red indicator of roof opening is constantly on (=not flashing)
    - When pressing the boot opener button, nothing happens.

I have followed the instructions on the manual and managed to pull the wire below the center console as well as pulling the two blue hooks to unleash the boot and could open it manually this way.

There was no leak or anything weird at first look. After closing it, it will keep doing the same which is: 1- nothing when pressing the boot opener button | 2- an unlocking sound when pulling the wire below the central console | 3 - but still need to manually pull the two blue hooks to open it.

I believe the boot issue might be linked with the roof obviously although I am concerned that when activing the roof opening button, I can't hear any system noise trying to open the boot/moving the roof.

As the car was parked for a while, I got the battery fully recharged but to no change.

Since I live on a remote island, I don't have access to a daihatsu dealership without going on an expensive ferry ride with the car , so trying my luck here if someone could give advice to a car novice :)

Thank you very much !

edit: some grammar, non native speaker spotted

Last edited: Jul 18, 2022
  2. Richard Elliot

Richard Elliot Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Copen
    Hi Areki,

I just logged on here and saw your post.
    Don't get too excited because I am not giving you a solution to your issue. I just wanted to let you know that I am having the exact same problem.
    My boot does nothing at all. I have to open it manually all the time. The roof light is on constantly and not flashing. But my car beeps at me all the time. It's not much fun listening to that all the way to work.

Anyway, i have booked it in with an auto electrician so will see what he says.i will let you know of the outcome in case it helps you.
    Good luck and also keep me informed please.
    I have been working on this roof/boot issue for weeks now

3. Areki

Areki Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Copen
    Hi @Richard Elliot !
    Many thanks for your reply and update on your situation (I read your thread when looking for a solution!;))
    It must be very frustrating to have the alarm non stop when driving !

In advance, thank you very much for keeping me posted on your issue and solution. I will do the same here:)

4. Richard Elliot

Car(s):
    Copen

It just seems strange not to be getting any sort of response or anything from the roof. Clearly electrical as opposed to hydraulic. I have checked all the sensors for the roof. It knows there is an issue as the light is constantly on. But I have read the fault codes and not getting a single fault.
    Will keep trying I suppose. Will keep you updated

5. Areki

Areki Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Copen
    So I just got it checked here, they couldn't figure out what is not working properly and recommended to check with Daihatsu. It seems it is a problem with the roof/boot motor or its dedicated electrical system as there is no physical broken/missing piece when manually opening the boot.
    I will have to take it by ferry and check it when I have the opportunity.
    Meanwhile, very interested to hear your updates and anyone's advice :)
    Cheers

6. sheppardpat47

sheppardpat47 Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    2007 Daihatsu Sirion Sport 1.3 16V 87HP (K3-VE)
    2007 Daihatsu Copen 1.3 16V 87HP (K3-VE)
    Hello

Did you tried just removing the battery for several hours and then see if it's not just a ECU problem?

7. Richard Elliot

Car(s):
    Copen
    Hi Areki,
    I am still having the same issue as you. Unfortunately I have not managed to sort it yet either.
    I have established that the control system thinks the boot is open, which is why the red warning light is constantly on and nothing happens when you try and unlock the boot by the button or the key fob.

So basically you need to reset the boot system somehow so that all the necessary sensors tell the control module that the boot is closed. I am just trying to work out which of the sensors is saying that the boot is still open.

I have been messing with the roof/boot for the last few hours and even got the roof to start retracting, although the boot was in the closed position at the time, which was quite worrying. But clearly the system thinks the boot is still in an open position even when I have manually pushed it closed.
    Very frustrating

I also managed to get the boot to open and close correctly a few times, so that is something positive I suppose. But now I am back to where I started with nothing happening at all.

Anyway, I will keep tinkering with it while the rain holds off. And if I have any success I will let you know and tell you what I did.

I am vaguely hopeful at the moment because I have seen that the boot and roof can work correctly. I just need to work out which part is preventing it from doing so

8. Areki

Areki Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Copen
    Hi @sheppardpat47 , Many thanks for your message and my apologies for the slow reply. I have tried it but it did not change anything ufortunately.
    @Richard Elliot , it is great to read things moved (for a while!) on your side. I will try to do the same in the coming days to see if anything changes :)
    Please keep me posted !

9. Coping

Coping Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Daihatsu copen L880
    Daihatsu chore L701
    Hello roofers,I suppose you tried the roof ECU reset technique used in the manual and demonstrated by an English guy on YouTube some time back....I think it clears any stored fault codes and reboots the system.