Ancient New Member!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Old Badger, Jan 24, 2014.

1. Old Badger

Old Badger Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    2004 Copen
    2016 Honda HR-V
    Hi everyone! Nice to be here at last! I am the proud owner of a 2004 silver Copen, which I bought new almost ten years ago (how it can possibly be 10 years I simply do not understand - it's still my new car, my "mid-life crisis"!). Having now decayed well past mid-life I have retired and am now setting about getting the Copen on the road again.

I had SORN'ed it because the boot wouldn't open (despite following the manual instructions to the letter) and, worse, the Active Top wasn't working!!

Finally took it into the local garage this week and got it serviced/MOT'd and taxed. The garage got the boot open OK (hooray!) but the told me the Active Top was not working and that the boot was full of water. :(

So I came to Copenworld to see if I could get any tips. And, incredibly, it's all fixed!! :D I took everything out of the boot (discovering, incidentally, that there is a dinky little compressor for inflating the tyres - I'd never seen it before :eek:). Dried out the boot and - hey presto! - the roof works again!! Yaay!

Next: can I fix the remote locking fob, which hasn't worked for years. A few minutes on Copenworld and I fixed it!!! I still can't believe it! You guys (and gals) are just amazing and I'm proud to be joining you.

The real motivation for fixing my MLC (stands for "My Little Car" or maybe "Mid-life Crisis") is that my youngest is getting married in April and he and his fiancee want to use the Copen as their wedding car. So my wife and I have been looking for suitable ribbons, bows, etc., to decorate MLC. Should look a treat and I'll post a pic after the Big Day.

I'm based in South London and I'd love to meet any like-minded Copen devotees in the area.

Best regards to all

Old Badger+

2. alz2605

alz2605 Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen
    VW Golf TDi
    So nice your getting your Copen up & running again especially since your son is going to use it in his wedding.

Me & the fiancé are going to include her Copen in our wedding too next year some way :D

3. Adam K

Adam K Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Nissan Cube Kaizen
    Welcome to Copenworld Old Badger, glad you've found us.

4. dsb

dsb Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    copen vivid
    well done.
    my advice, if there was water in the boot check behind the seats -with my case it somehow drained to there from the boot and then started sneaking back into the boot after it had been dried out.

5. copencat

copencat Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    hopefully soon a new grey copen!
    what a lovely story to hear, congrats to your son on the upcoming wedding.

I wanted to use my copen in our wedding too last year but I couldnt fit myself and the dress in the car! lol

:-(:)D

6. DaG

DaG Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Copen 1.3
    Hi old badger, nice post I enjoyed reading it.
    No need to feel old on here compared to Trustafox you're just a lad. He's well in his seventies but still doesn't struggle to get down low into the car. His zimmer fits nicely in the boot as well.:)

7. trustafox

trustafox Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Yes
    Hi Badger, if you get chance it well worth checking out DaGs car and his modifications being an engineer. He's totally cut the area of the driver's seat out and just rolls up in the space in his wheelchair. Couple of brackets to fix the chair securely in place and he's off. Its good how these house bound people can now get out and about instead of spending the day pestering and annoying other people on forums.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
  8. DaG

DaG Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Copen 1.3
    I'll take that as a bite.:D

9. Old Badger

Car(s):
    2004 Copen
    2016 Honda HR-V
    Congrats on the wedding Copencat! I am also worried that the bride might not be able to squeeze in. I've already told them the groom will have to drive. Luckily the bride is tiny, 5'2" and very slender so maybe she'll squeeze in. As a mere male I have not seen the dress, although my spies tell me it has already been bought.....if it's one of those monster wedding cake dresses then I think there could be a problem....anyway my role is to pimp the Copen so it looks the part. Luckily thanks to Copenworld I've got it back into peak form! :))

10. Old Badger

Car(s):
    2004 Copen
    2016 Honda HR-V
    Not sure about the trustafox/DaG battle being fought in my little intro. Have you guys been slugging it out for years? I'm just happy I can still contort the old arthritic limbs to fit into the Copen without artificial aids! :)))) We old gits should stick together and show these young whippersnappers something or other.......what was I going to say?? Never mind. At least being a Copen owner keeps you young. When Mrs Old Badger is sitting beside me, blonde (dyed) hair blowing in the wind, wearing her sun specs and all the young bloods looking at us (not at the car, of course) I don't feel a day over 57. :))))

11. Old Badger

Car(s):
    2004 Copen
    2016 Honda HR-V
    Thanks very much! It's a great site and I'm proud to be here. :))

12. Old Badger

Car(s):
    2004 Copen
    2016 Honda HR-V
    Thanks DSB. Since I dried it all out I haven't actually taken her out in the rain so I don't know if the leaks are fixed or where they're coming from! Maybe it will just be a fine weather car from now on. After all, it is 10 years old and it is the 3rd car for just the two of us. It is soooo cute and I'm rediscovering why I bought it in the first place (at huge expense, to be honest). We're all a bit crazy, aren't we?? :)))

13. Old Badger

Car(s):
    2004 Copen
    2016 Honda HR-V
    Hi Alz2605! Thanks for the post! Congrats that you are getting married! Love it! Provided your fiancée can squeeze into the Copen wearing the dress, I think it will be a truly memorable occasion! Why go in for a Bentley/Rolls-Royce, etc. (yawn) when you can make a real statement in a Copen! It's such an unusual car and it will make your wedding really memorable. Impressed that your fiancée has a Copen. She must be a woman of great taste and discernment - and she chose you :)))

14. alz2605

alz2605 Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen
    VW Golf TDi
    Get the full story story here about how the Mrs got her Copen :D

https://www.copenworld.com/vb3/showthread.php?t=1910

15. Old Badger

Car(s):
    2004 Copen
    2016 Honda HR-V
  16. copencat

Car(s):
    i think there is more space in the passenger seat than the drivers due to the steering wheel, if i wear a skirt with a full petticoat - driving is kinda of difficult due to needing to change gear! p.s im 5ft 3.

17. DaG

DaG Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Copen 1.3
    My mrs doesn't like her hair blowing in the breeze infact she doesn't like it moving at all. Getting her into the Copen when I am going to put the roof down is hard work so I mostly drive solo.
    Me and TAF, it's not so much a battle as handbags at dawn. We just have a laugh it's revived many a dead thread.:) Sorry if our bit of silliness offended though.

18. DaG

DaG Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Copen 1.3
    Don't wear one of those big fat gypsy wedding type dresses. As well as not being able to change gear you won't see out of the windscreen either.:D

19. copencat

Car(s):
    no but many wedding dresses require a wired petticoat to get the dress hanging right. but yeah i wear 50s skirts sometimes which require full unwired petticoats and yes its like being surrounded by cushions! never complain of a hard ride for once!

Old Badger
    - get the word round to those who have seen the dress that even one wired petticoat is going to be awkward!!

20. Old Badger

Car(s):
    2004 Copen
    2016 Honda HR-V
    Will do Copencat! :))