1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

An exhaust question

Discussion in 'Problems, Fixes, Tips...' started by Tony, Jun 18, 2018.

1. Tony

Tony Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Yellow Juke Tekna & 2006 silver Copen.
    Hi all.
    I was out in Belle yesterday and noticed after a 30 minute drive that the exhaust had started rattling around with a rumble at the back of the car as I was slowing down. Looking at the exhaust pipes from the rear of the vehicle I could see they were no longer aligned.
    Took her to a garage today and after an inspection they said I would need some Exhaust Rubber Mount Bracket Hangers. I've bought the five they suggested I get even though it appears only four are needed. Thought I'd keep a spare.
    I'm not that car mechanically mined so my question is...Is she still OK to drive or will all the rattling around cause another problem?
    Cheers!

2. AFR0N1

AFR0N1 Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen L880K (KMVZW)
    Things that would probably happen if you continue to drive her, from best case to worst case:

1. Exhaust rattling will get annoying
    2. Exhaust may get light damage since its hitting against things causing a rattle. It may also damage any painted areas if it collides with them. (paint on underside of bumper etc)
    3. Exhaust gets bent or a hole is made and exhaust gasses leak out. (car becomes much louder)
    4. Depending on how bad it is, exhaust may get caught on things like speed bumps, if its hanging too low. This can cause huge damage depending on how hard it hits. This could also damage painted surfaces, scratch things, damage catalytic converter etc.

The longer you leave it the worse it will get. <--True for pretty much anything really.

Tony likes this.
  3. Tony

Tony Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Cheers AFR0N1. I'll replace them as soon as they arrive.

AFR0N1 likes this.
  4. trustafox

trustafox Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Yes
    I'm surprised you need to change all of them if its just a rattle.
    Has it had the exhaust replaced previously?

5. Tony

Tony Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Hi trustafox.
    It looks like the exhaust is fairly old. The garage suggested changing them all so I thought I might as well.

6. BarnsleyRob

BarnsleyRob Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    2009/59 silver Copen 1298 cc (now gone to a new home)
    I don’t think a full exhaust is that expensive (obviously it’s all relative) and there’s a seller on eBay in the West Mids that does them.

Tony likes this.
  7. Attack chihuahua

Attack chihuahua Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    One off daihatsu copen
    2013 Vw beetle
    What ever you do don’t buy a cheap exhaust off e bay, unless your not planning on keeping it for long!!!
    If you have more long term plans get a good quality stainless exhaust fitted, will probably see out the car.

Tony likes this.
  8. Attack chihuahua

Attack chihuahua Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    One off daihatsu copen
    2013 Vw beetle
    Dont worry about the catalytic converter getting damaged, it’s attatched straight from the exhaust manifold on the engine.

Tony likes this.