Alternator belt fitting

Discussion in 'Problems, Fixes, Tips...' started by Liam Bradshaw, Mar 20, 2016.

1. Liam Bradshaw

Liam Bradshaw Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Copen 659cc turbo
    Need to change the alternator belt on the copen seen as it snapped the other night. What's the best way to do this as I've had a look and the space is stupidly tight from on top and underneath! Also what thread is the bolt that holds the alternator to the car as that seems to be missing on mine so it's being held on purely by the adjustable bracket

2. Binz

Binz Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Copen (plus Kawasaki W650 and Honda CRV)
    had mine done a couple of weeks back (caused by tensioner failing). Mechanic did the work and took the bumper off to get access.

3. Liam Bradshaw

Liam Bradshaw Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Copen 659cc turbo
    [​IMG] What tensioner? I can't see one on this diagram. Mines the 0.7 turbo by the way. Dunno if the 1.3 is different

4. dunf

dunf Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    copen
    The 1.3 is different from the 0.7. Both are a bugger to fit due to lack of access. You can make life easier using a serpent fork tool.

5. Smc92

Smc92 Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen 659cc
    Nissan 350Z
    The 659cc doesn't have a tensioner and I found it to be a real pain to do mine with the limited space available. Would probably be easier if there was a tensioner in there somewhere because I struggled to push the alternator back and tighten at the same time to get tension on the belt.

6. Salieri

Salieri Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    Used to have a White Copen, but I sold it in 2023
    I found fitting a Belt on the 1.3 quite easy, given the minimal space. I just had to remove the right wheel arch to get to the tensioner screw. I could then loosen the other tensioner screw from the front (with a flexible ratchet extension).

7. gotboost?

gotboost? Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    2003 Daihatsu Copen
    All you do is get a small ratchet handle and 12(?)mm socket or spanner to undo the nut. Bunnings has a Kinchrome set that you can buy with a ratchet handle that's about 10cm long.

It's a really tight fit and a pain in the butt to do, but it can be done from the top at the side without taking the bumper off. You'll find that you probably need to take the bonnet off though.

To tension it, just grab a broomstick or thin piece of pipe and lever it against the alternator to put tension on it while you tighten the nut.

I'd say you could do it in about 30-45 mins. Just be patient! :)

PS: Mine is the 660cc version, so this may differ on the 1.3L

Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
  8. trustafox

trustafox Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Yes
    I'm looking to mine. I think the car is still on the original, so for £13 it's not an expensive job so might as well.

9. gotboost?

Car(s):
    2003 Daihatsu Copen
    Good idea! If you have any trouble, PM me.

10. trustafox

trustafox Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Yes
    Cheers, I will. I think once started a lot of things will become clearer.

11. gotboost?

Car(s):
    2003 Daihatsu Copen
    Quite right! It's all about using the old noodle! :p

12. Tommmbirch

Tommmbirch Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Copen
    Where is the 'nut' to loosen the belt in order to take it off? My belt is squeaking when the lights are turned on and think it is due to it not being tensioned correctly

13. Vin Petrol

Vin Petrol Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    2004 0.7 Copen
    I haven't done it yet myself, I actually ordered a new belt this morning and I already have a new air con belt ready so soon. However, from what they're saying it sounds like you unbolt either the alternator itself or the alternator drive pulley.
    Have you had a look at the belts? They're on the drivers side, my power steering belt looks brand new but the other 2 are a bit tatty, I've gotten some squealing too the last couple weeks.

I got these part numbers off another thread here, haven't used them myself yet though.

Air conditioner belt - Gates 6276MC
    Alternator belt - Gates 4PK690
    power steering belt - Mitsuboshi Daihatsu 90048-32095

14. Tommmbirch

Tommmbirch Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Copen
    Yeah I know that my belts have recently been replaced and I have inspected them so I'm confident that it is the tension that is causing the squeak. I am just unsure as to where I can increase the tension. The service manual makes a reference to a specific part called an SST but I cannot find anything online regarding that.

15. Vin Petrol

Vin Petrol Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    2004 0.7 Copen
    Alternator adjuster bar 09286-87701-000 is the thing, SST seems to mean something like 'specific special tool' maybe, that's just a guess but there's different things referenced as that in the manual.
    alternator.jpg

So basically just wedges the alternator in one place and you can turn the nut to adjust the belt. Can be replaced by a stick according to gotboost's post! That's handy because I've only found one in a Japanese shop so far.

オルタネータ アジャスターバー 09286-87701-000 ダイハツ純正 / くるパ~ショッピング~ - 自動車部品 パーツ 純正品 リビルド品 販売

16. gotboost?

Car(s):
    2003 Daihatsu Copen
    Yep, definitely no need to buy the SST for this job. You'd be wasting your money just for the very few times that you'd be adjusting the belt.

Wedge a broomstick/socket extension bar/rolling pin/umbrella/long hard object (hurhurhur) as a 'lever' to tension the belt.

17. Nedryerson

Nedryerson Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    0.66 Copen 2003
    Fiat 500
    This forum is a great resource.
    I have a squealing form the front when the roof is being lowered which ai guess is an alternator drive belt slipping. Had a look but could't even FIND the alternator.
    What was disturbing though was the electric fan starting up after the car had been idling for only 2 or 3 minutes. Maybe there is more afoot !

18. CoppedEnd

CoppedEnd Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Copen 0.7 2003 model
    Hi,
    Got a 0.7 Kei series model. Had all the belts changed by the garage. But the battery is not charging. Also, how much deflection should there be on the belts? The power steering one seems tight as I would normally expect on other vehicles with very little give. The alternator and A/C belts have far more play.

Is it only the top nut that tensions all three? Which would seem a bit weird as there is obviously going to be difference in play between them.

Otherwise the alternator is spinning fine but not providing voltage to the battery. Even if it were not tight, would still expect it to be charging. But Battery warning symbol on dash is not on. Will check wiring later.

Any advice on the tensioning? Thanks!

19. CoppedEnd

CoppedEnd Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Copen 0.7 2003 model
    Is yours a 0.7 or 1.3?

20. Nedryerson

Nedryerson Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    0.66 Copen 2003
    Fiat 500
    Hi