1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alloy Wheel Refurbishement

Discussion in 'Problems, Fixes, Tips...' started by Soc, Sep 6, 2016.

1. Soc

Soc Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen
    Hi all

I have corrosion on some of my Copen's original alloy wheels which I think is common. I don't think its just a sand and paint job as there seems to be a machined/diamond cut finish on the surface. Any help appreciated. Thanks

2. Salieri

Salieri Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    Used to have a White Copen, but I sold it in 2023
    The surface is polished, you will probably not get the same finish by doing it yourself.

I can recommend this video:

Alternatively, you could let a shop powder coat the wheels for you, but it is quite expensive

3. Your Majesty

Your Majesty Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Copen, no other car.
    My OH had her Copen wheels refurbished last month (- cleaned, stripped, scuffs ground out, powder coated in her choice of colour) - £40 each.
    They look really nice to the point that if I ever Kerb mine I won't hesitate to get them refurbed too (you'll see them at the KKITP event if you're interested)

Barry Copen likes this.
  4. dunf

dunf Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    copen
    I got these wheels done a while ago but they were doing an offer on alloygater plastic protection strips. Ended up £40 a wheel including the strips. Choose from 8 colours, and help protect against kerbing. Had them on couple years now and they really work. The wife kerbed an alloy once, all you do is smooth back the strip and good to go again.

[​IMG]

5. ClareL

ClareL Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    1.3 2008 Copen
    Originally the wheels are diamond cut. I had mine cleaned up and re polished about 3 years ago. Not everywhere does diamond cut wheels and they are more expensive than having them painted, they look good either way :cool:

I used this company Alloy Art and would recommend them to anyone in the area.

6. Soc

Soc Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen
    Hi

I thought they were diamond cut. There is a guy in Cardiff who can diamond cut them. My alloys are not curbed per say, its just mild corrosion where the lacquer has come off especially near the center cap which looks like a common thing on most of the copens I have seen. Sometimes I wished I wasn't so fussy on a car getting on to 10 years old!

7. dunf

dunf Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    copen
    If they're not marked and it's just the clear that's bubbling you won't need them re-cut. Just polished and a fresh coat of clear. You only get so many re-cuts on a wheel as by definition it removes material. Some companies will only do one re-cut on a wheel.