Air Vent Ring/Surround

Discussion in 'Problems, Fixes, Tips...' started by PauliePaul, May 4, 2015.

1. PauliePaul

PauliePaul Copenworld Regular

hello just a question about the air vent surround / rings... does anyone know how to remove these and whats the method of doing this without causing any damage

2. ClareL

ClareL Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    1.3 2008 Copen
    There doesn't seem to be one! Even an ex Daihatsu dealer refused to do mine because the only way is to break the old ones - not a huge problem for me as I have replacements - and risk damaging the surrounding area - this was their main issue!

Lots have people have successfully removed the vents and then superglued the tabs back on after painting them and my husband promises he will do mine in the summer but he has spent a year trying to find a way of removing the old vents without any damage.

3. ClareL

Car(s):
    1.3 2008 Copen
  4. jez77

jez77 Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    2003 Daihatsu Copen
    2000 Toyota RAV4
    They come out fairly easy just by turning the whole vent assembly about a quarter turn.
    You need to get to them from behind the dash. The one near the glovebox is easy to try first.
    Good luck

5. ClareL

Car(s):
    1.3 2008 Copen
    Thanks, I'll give it a try!

6. gotham

gotham Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    BMW 328i, Mini Cooper S, Copen
    ClareL

Did you manage to remove the rings? Thinking of replacing mine - but hope not to damage them in the process!

7. Le Red Noddy

Le Red Noddy Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen 2006 1.3
    So... many years later, I have managed to do this. They come off fairly easily, from the front. There is enough of a gap behind the plastic ring to get a thumbnail behind. Then use a small flat screwdriver to expand the gap, keeping it in place. Using a second flat screwdriver, work carefully around the ring until it starts to come away.
    There are four large lugs behind, but they are not actually clipped in place, and four smaller ones, which I guess act as stabilisers. I broke a tiny piece off of the smaller ones, but no detrimental effect.
    You might get a few marks on the rings, but these can be sanded away if you are going to paint them.
    Slowly and gently is the key.

JustJusty likes this.
  8. Jawwad

Jawwad Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Copen 660
    Thanks for the great tip