Advice please from the experts

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Albion, Jun 22, 2015.

1. Albion

Albion Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Vauxhall Corsa
    Hi all
    I would really like to buy a Copen but my problem is that I know virtually nothing about running / maintaining cars.
    Skimming the threads on here seems to suggest that there is always something that needs doing - is this really the case?
    I guess what I am really asking is that given my lack of knowledge - is buying one a bad idea?
    Any advise will be much appreciated - thanks all
    Jeff

PS - have spotted a white 0.66 for sale which has the advantage of being close to home

2. ClareL

ClareL Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    1.3 2008 Copen
    Welcome to Copenworld! It is more a case of always finding something you want to do to a Copen than something you need to do :D

Having said that, the turbo models do need to be serviced every 3000 miles, although the 1.3 has a Toyota Yaris engine so is like any other car. There can be problems with rust but rust proofing can be done professionally if you are not comfortable doing it yourself.

Check out this buyers guide for problems you might see

https://www.copenworld.com/vb3/showthread.php?t=1078&highlight=Buyers+guide

I'm sure you won't regret it if you do buy a copen, and you will be surprised at what you can do - you tube can help a lot and people on here will give you advise.

3. DaG

DaG Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Copen 1.3
    I had a 1.3 for almost three years and had no problems with it at all.
    If you go on any car forum you will find a lot of problem cars but that is the main reason people join car forums, to solve problems. Very few go on a forum to say how reliable their cars are so the car appears to be problematic, a false view.

If you buy a .66 Copen make sure the oil changes have been done at the required intervals. Turbo failure is a result of slack oil changing and very expensive to fix. As Clare said above rust is something to watch out for, it's mainly in the wheel arches so check these carefully. Other than that the cars are great and a laugh to drive. Best of luck in your search.