Advice Needed on Buying a Rusty Copen

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by aWildCarEnthusiast, Jul 11, 2021.

1. aWildCarEnthusiast

aWildCarEnthusiast Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    My Mums Vauxhall Corsa D
    I'm toying with going to see this 660cc Copen for sale in Glasgow. But After checking its MOT history I'm not so sure it will be a good deal. The Rust appears to be fixed. Should I stay away from purchasing this car? upload_2021-7-11_11-31-50.png

2. Brian S

Brian S Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Dec 2003 659cc silver Copen. Boost controller, cold air, 2" exhaust, underglow etc.,
    My bike is a 2016 Suzuki Maxi with Malossi Variator, straight through exhaust etc.
    The rust seems extensive & affecting the cross bracing under the car which holds the Copen together.
    Luckily we don't have tin worm in Canberra.
    If the owner had only done something about this before it spread like cancer.

Daihatsus are not prone to rust despite the light steel, but once it gets into that steel things do go south pretty quickly.
    I'm thinking that this has been driven on salted roads or has lived outside in very salty air for years.

Unless you can cut & weld, I'd say that this Copen is sadly only fit for parts now.
    You could always buy it [very cheaply] & part it out yourself if you have the space & know-how.
    But buy another Copen as your driver IMHO.

3. aWildCarEnthusiast

aWildCarEnthusiast Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    My Mums Vauxhall Corsa D
    The rust must have been repaired to some degree other wise it would no longer have an MOT and would be illegal to drive. But Yeah I think I will stay away from this one. The roads in Scotland are Salted. Thanks for the advice.

Brian S likes this.
  4. sunlover

sunlover Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Copen
    That's glorified scrap, thank god for mot checker, lucky escape.

Brian S likes this.
  5. APPLEDjerry

APPLEDjerry Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    'Lola': 2009 Copen 1.3 Silver
    'Griffin the Mule': Vauxhall Vectra Estate, 2008, 1.8, black.
    True. But how long will that repair last? How much rot was removed to get it past the MOT? Was the repair done to a high standard?

6. Brian S

Brian S Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Dec 2003 659cc silver Copen. Boost controller, cold air, 2" exhaust, underglow etc.,
    My bike is a 2016 Suzuki Maxi with Malossi Variator, straight through exhaust etc.
    No.