Accessing the Wiper Relay

Discussion in 'Problems, Fixes, Tips...' started by APPLEDjerry, Dec 20, 2020.

1. APPLEDjerry

APPLEDjerry Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    'Lola': 2009 Copen 1.3 Silver
    'Griffin the Mule': Vauxhall Vectra Estate, 2008, 1.8, black.
    How easy is it to access the windscreen wiper relay?

I had bought this relay from Car Builder Solutions in the hope of being able to have an adjustable intermittent wiper. Programmable Intermittent Wiper Relay from Car Builder
    [​IMG]
    I had also purchased an additional relay, also in hope (probably in vain) of being able to trigger a number of wiper sweeps when I trigger the washer function. 0 to 60 second Time Delay Relay For Courtesy Lights from Car Builder

I'd hoped that wiper relay would be in a box or on a board, under the steering wheel or bonnet. But studying the diagram below suggested that the relay is integral to the 'multi use lever'/wiper stalk controls. Ok. So I checked out a couple of pictures of the dual stalk control unit on the web, but couldn't see anything like a relay that was accessible.
    upload_2020-12-20_12-20-1.png
    Is it very difficult to gain access to the relay?

A secondary question is does everyone else have the inconvenient arrangement of having the washer function as completely separate from wiper function? So that I will pull on the wiper lever for washer fluid, but have to then click down to get a wiper sweep, rather than other cars I've used where the washer fluid function activates 3 sweeps of the wipers.

I'm not great at interpreting these electrical diagrams, but the one above suggests that the washer and wiper functions might be connected, but perhaps I misinterpret. Yet I can't believe that Daihatsu couldn't have designed in a relay to give the washer/wiper function combined.

My new relay promises the wash/wipe function and a programmable intermittent wipe*, all in one relay! Which I'm excited about...if I can fit it.

*By having the intermittent wipe 'on', switch to the 'off' position, then after a desired interval, switch back on and the wipers will continue to repeat at this interval.:clap:

Johnnygotabroombroom likes this.
  2. AFR0N1

AFR0N1 Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen L880K (KMVZW)
    I'm not entirely sure where that relay is located, it could be in the plastic box in the engine bay.
    And for the second question, yes, the wiper and washer are separate from each other on mine too

APPLEDjerry likes this.
  3. Rex

Rex Copenworld Pioneer

Car(s):
    Copen
    From the diagram, I believe it would be difficult to fit your relay. This is because of the multiple contact configuration in the switch. The function of washer is independent from the wiper control and the apparent links in the wiring are only for the power supply. I have never seen the timing relay, but the diagram suggests it is integrated into the leaver assembly. To alter the intermittent time, the value of R1 would need to be varied. Maybe when it gets a little warmer, I'll try and investigate further.

APPLEDjerry likes this.
  4. APPLEDjerry

Car(s):
    Thanks for your observations Rex. I'll investigate the switch assembly soon myself.

5. Rex

Rex Copenworld Pioneer

Car(s):
    Copen
    Just had another look (and a think) regarding the idea of turning on the wipers when the washer is activated.

I believe it can be done, but will require another 12v relay. Why? Well the delay relay requires a positive supply to activate the timed output and in the copen, the washer pump has a permanent +12 and is switched to ground to operate. The opposite of what is required by the delay relay!
    However it is possible, if you connect another 'normal' 12v relay across the washer motor and use a set of contacts on this new relay to apply +12v to terminal 15 of your delay relay (trigger input) Then connect terminal 87 of the delay relay to the +1 wiper motor connection and it should run and self park.

6. APPLEDjerry

Car(s):
    Thanks for your further obvs. It's never quite as straightforward as imagined, but at least you've offered the prospect and knowledge that it could do it.

7. Johnnygotabroombroom

Johnnygotabroombroom Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Copen.
    According
    Tbe diagram suggests that the relay is located between the wiper motor and the stalk. There's a box around it. I assume it will be under the steering column somewhere. I will have a look when it's not brass monkeys!

APPLEDjerry likes this.
  8. Johnnygotabroombroom

Car(s):
    Copen.

9. APPLEDjerry

Car(s):
    Hi Johnny, did you mean to add to your previous comment, or perhaps its' still brass monkeys up Scotland way:)

I haven't had a chance to investigate further, the job being low on my list of priorities, but I would like to have a root around before properly winter sets in. Cheers

10. Johnnygotabroombroom

Car(s):
    Copen.
    Sorry about that! The weather yesterday was scorching so of course the top was down....however the AC decided to pack in....I think it needs gas! you will be happy to know we're back to rain and cold this morning!

I have found the relay for the wipers. it is under the steering wheel above the pedals. It is in a block where the speakers attach. a bit awkward to get at you need a 10mm socket then turn the block around to get to the relay catches. I haven't removed it yet but it's a different size and i don't know if the new one will fit. I will get her in the garage over the weekend and have a proper look then let you know.

11. APPLEDjerry

Car(s):
    This sounds promising. So it isn't on the back of the steering wheel on the combination stalk board? I'm really hoping it isn't. [​IMG]

Meanwhile, I have been perrusing the Japanese auction sites in awe of the amount of Copen custom parts available. We are so deprived of this sort of Copen decadence in this part of the world. So I came across this kit for a variable intermittent wiper, which basically seems to comprise of a variable resistor on a wire! It seems a bit expensive even for what it is, even for Japan customers. But it clearly suggests that a mod can be achieved by fitting the variable resistor inline somewhere on the relay. https://www.jauce.com/auction/v1001665469
    [​IMG]

We obviously have our replacement relays now, which will hopefully be plug and play, but for anyone pondering a variable wipe, this part is peanuts to buy. It's just a matter of deciphering where to link the wires.